Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

Sore/red skin

Hi, I have quite an odd problem...about a year and a half ago or so ago I got into shaving with cream and a brush (im a guy). I got on well with this combination but one day I decided to use shaving SOAP instead of cream. Being new to the whole thing I didnt really understand how I was supposed to use a soap with a brush and could not produce a lather so I started rubbing the shaving brush on my face very roughly to try and produce a lather. This resulted in both my cheeks becoming extremely red and sore, and painful to touch. I thought the redness would go away soon afterwards, and although it is quite a bit less red the redness still is apparant after all this time and my face is still very sore to touch around the cheek areas only. Everywhere else is fine. Can you suggest anything to get rid of the redness and soreness? I think the skin has been damaged or something? Considering my skin is still very sore to touch after well over a year im quite worried. Many thanks.
2 Responses
1701261 tn?1307141527

thanks for query. What has happened is contact allergy to the soap and brush . But one year a pretty long time, by this time your skin should have become normal. I think there is something still being used by you who irritate you skin and does not allow it to become normal. Please look for it. Apply some moisturizes every time  you shave, apply sun screen lotion when you go out in sun. Please take good health diet.Try taking anti allergic tablets for a week or so.If this does not help please get in touch with skin specialist.

Wishing you good health.
563773 tn?1374250139
It is not possible for contact dermatitis to persist for one year. Either you are in constant contact with the allergen (soap, creams, shaving foams etc) or it can be due to rosacea. Rosacea is a medical condition presenting with redness, swelling, discoloration and sometimes pimples and dry skin over the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead.

The exact cause of rosacea is not known. The basic process seems to involve dilation of the small blood vessels of the face. To confirm the diagnosis get an examination done from a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions