Subungual melanoma

Almost 2 weeks ago, I noticed a sliver of brown pigmentation just above the cuticle of my thumb.  I did not remember hitting my thumb on/in anything, so I became concerned.  Within a few days, it grew out to where it is now (see photo).  I saw my dermatologist yesterday and, while she said it isn't overtly worrisome, she is sending me to have it biopsied.

I suppose I am just wondering if anyone has had something similar under their nail and/or what a nail biopsy is like.  I am going to a specialist at UPenn to have it done.  Does this look like subungual melanoma to anyone?
For such symptoms subungual exostosis also needs to be ruled out which is a growth of bone from the tip of the toe or finger. It is a benign tumor grown from the bone and cartilage and present under the nail and it can occur on index finger and middle finger.

You need to get an x-ray and a biopsy done to confirm the diagnosis. Surgical removal of the lesion is the treatment of choice. The tumor is completely removed and the underlying bone is scraped clean to prevent future recurrence.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.