Suddenly oily scalp!!

I also have recently experienced a suddenly oily scalp. About 5 days ago, I was drying my hair - fresh from the shower - to find it as oily as if I hadn't washed it in days...  Maybe related: About 6 months ago, I started experiencing super oily skin and MASSIVE acne!!! I am 28 yrs old and have never had acne problems before!! I switched my foundation to an oil-free version and it's better, but by no means healed...  Trying the dish detergent on my hair tomorrow... DOCTORS, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!  I don't understand why - without any change to product or daily life - one would experience such drastic and sudden changes!?!

This discussion is related to Extremely Oily Scalp.
Two possibilities are there for your symptoms. First of all, stress or hormonal changes may lead to excess oil produced by the oil glands in your scalp. This causes the harmless bacteria that live in the scalp to proliferate and feed off the oil, which produces the odor.

Second possibility is of a fungal infection causing tinea capitis. It is contagious and can spread direct contact with someone who has the condition, or if you touch contaminated items such as combs, hats, clothing, or similar surfaces. Diagnosis is by clinical examination of the scalp as well as a skin lesion biopsy with microscopic examination. Anti-fungal medications, taken by mouth, are used to treat the infection.

It is important to keep the area clean. A medicated shampoo, such as one containing selenium sulfide like selsen may also help. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.