Dermatology Forum

Sycosis Barbae?

I am a 42 y/o caucasian male.

I have what appears to be Sycosis Barbae, or at least this is the best I can tell from the images I've seen online.

I've had this condition for 15 years; it subsides to where my skin is almost clear but can inflame, apparently at random. There has though always been a patch under my chin on the right side.

To check the severity of my current condition, today I shaved using a razor, breaking from my routine, as I usually trim my beard with a trimmer to 2/3mm.

I have seen countless dermatologists and no one has been able to pinpoint exactly what is wrong.

As you can see from the images, my skin is particularly bad with lesions all over my beard area.

I am perhaps 10 pounds overweight but I am reasonably active - in the sun a lot - cycling and sailing mostly.

I think I may have an overproduction of keratin as I am almost daily able to squeeze, like a toothpaste from a tube, white gunk from around my nostrils and also from pores on the side of my face near my ears.

I often find multiple hairs in the same follicle. Some hairs can be much thicker and darker than others. I also find white nymph-like hairs; these are usually softer and are easily removed.

Oftentimes, there's gunk at the base of the hair.

At the moment, I am taking self-prescribed trimetoprim.

As I live in hong Kong, where I think this conition is rare as Asian people aren't that hirsute, I am really hoping a doctor here may be able to help!

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qe4857tam4910qj/Y1rkhr6JW0

Thanks for posting your query.

What you are having is sycosis barbae or pseudofolliculitis barbae. It is more common in men who have naturally coarse or tightly curling thick hair.
Treatment consists of letting your beard grow for 1 month and then shaving with a moisturizing shaving foam and single razor blade. Shave in the direction of the follicle, not against it  and at night, apply a lotion containing glycolic acid to the affected areas. This exfoliates the surface skin cells and reduces the likelihood of new inflamed spots.

If the symptoms persist then glycolic acid peels and laser hair removal can be tried. Electrolysis is impractical and ineffective because the needle may not reach the hair follicle

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions