Tender red dots on fingertips

In the last week or so, out of nowhere it seems, I've developed some very small red dots on my fingertips, predominantly on my left hand, not so much on the right. Their redness varies day to day. They are very slightly raised, tender to the touch but not itchy or blistered, there is no fluid in them. The tender feeling is similar to having big splinters under the skin. I've noticed that when my hands are quite cold the bumps look worse. The skin on my fingertips appears quite dry also, especially where the bumps are worst. My fingertips feel almost tingly. I have one or two of these same bumps on the tips of my big toes also, although these are far less tender.

Any ideas what it could be? I've never really had any skin complaints before besides ordinary teen acne.
It can be due to contact dermatitis, pompholyx or herpetic whitlow caused by herpes virus. Pompholyx primarily involves the hands and fingers and then may involve the feet. The first stage is acute and presents as itchy blisters on the hands, fingers and toes. Then the chronic stage shows more peeling, cracking, or crusting. Then the skin heals up, or the blistering may start again. The exact cause is not known and excessive sweating can be one of the reasons.

To confirm the diagnosis, you need to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.