Dermatology Forum

Transmission and treatment of Genital Warts

Hi Doc

Went to doctor recently, who said I had genital warts and treated it with liquid nitrogen. Now for the questions:

1. Have been in a monogamous relationship for more than 10 years, and my partner has actually been the only person I have had sex with ever. How could I have contracted genital warts? My docter said genital warts are a STD. Does it mean my partner has been unfaithful to me at some stage, even though he is adamant that he has not been? Its placing our whole relationship in jeopardy, because my doctor is saying it must have been spread through sexual contact. We are at the point of breaking up, because I feel I cannot trust him anymore.

2. Could you get genital warts from having oral sex, if the partner sometimes get cold sores? Again my doctor says its different strains of the virus and that the one cannot cause the other.

3. If the warts has been removed, can I infect my partner and how long before we can have sex again. (if we do stay together?)

4.We have never needed to use condoms, because we had a clean bill of health in all areas, do we now need to use condoms for both oral and anal sex?

5. Can warts spread to the face or other ares and how can you prevent it?

Could you please answer the questions separtely? 1.2.3.please!

Thanks for your help doc!
I think it would be most unfortunate and unnecessary for you to break off your relationship with your partner over this.  Your developing warts is not absolute proof of his infidelity.  First of all, not all genital warts are sexual.  Second, you could have contracted them from a former partner, since warts can be latent and invisible for years.  

When warts appear, it is simply not possible to determine where you got them from, any more than you can tell where warts on the hands come from.

Herpes cold sores are a different virus and have no connection with your condition.

Once warts are removed, they are presumed uninfectious (although, again, one simply doesn't know whether how they were transmitted to begin with.)

Warts do not spread to the face.  If they did, all of us with warts anywhere would be covered with them just from washing.

Get another opinion if you think you need it.  But the fact that you have warts now is not by any means proof that your partner has been unfaithful.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi Doc

Thanks for your help doc!
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions