Treatment of Vaginal Eczema

What is the best treatment for vaginal Eczema.  I have this for years now, it comes and goes.  I use Calendula gel when I have symptoms, it seems to help but not completely.  Is there something that I can use that is more effective.  It is very uncomfortable.  Burning sensation, etc.  I had a biopsy done a few years ago and results came back (SPONGIOTIC DERMATITIS)  which I been told is like ECZEMA.  

Can you please help or have any comments regarding this condition.

Mildly potent topical corticosteroids applied externally over the area is usually used for eczema of the genitalia. We are avoiding the more potent ones as they may cause some thinning of the skin and other side effects. I suggest that you discuss this with your gynecologist. Corticosteroids are the mainstay of therapy for eczematous diseases. However, they do need close supervision from your physician so that your response to the medications may be assessed Keep the area dry and clean always. Avoid tight underpants and wash using a mild cleanser only.

For how long have you had this skin condition?

Do you have similar skin conditions in other parts of the body?
I use Nystatin for that issue, Rx, from the GYN. It started after menopause. I think its hormone related

Thank you for answering my questions.  I had this for a few years now, too long for me.  My Gyn at the time said a Dermatologist would help.  I never did seek the help of one but I am now having another bout and I will be going to see one.

I only have this condition in vaginal area and some irritation towards the rectum.  I always had yeast infections off and on all my life and was told by a Dr. I have yeast overgrowth in my body.  I was on pure form of Nystatin for about a year.  That probably has something to do with me developing the dermatitis????

I did get Corticosteroids from a infectious disease doctor years ago for a chronic vaginal infection, if I remember right it didn't give me much comfort at the time.

I would appreciate any information that you can give me.  Thank you for responding.

Alexie1554
I have had vaginal eczema for 3 long years. I have been to gynocologists and dermatoligists. No one has given me anything that helps and I am miserable. I feel your pain.One dermatolosist just told me to use vasoline..what A JOKE..iVE TRIED HERBAL REMEDIES TOO..iVE EXHAUSTED MY OPTIONS. i WANT TO TRY AN IMMUNOSUPRESSIVE CREAM BUT NO ONE IS WILLING TO LET ME TRY IT. gOOD LUCK ON FINDING GOOD TREATMENT.Just know you are not alone.....
While I am not an expert in this area of dermatology just a point.Pinworms are notorious to cross over from the anal area to produce vaginal pruritus and missed  by concentrating only looking at vaginal cause.
I also have been diagnosed with vaginal eczema and have been having symptoms for about two years. like Alexie1554 i only have eczema vaginally and almost completly internally. Nightly i use the hydrocortisone supposity anucort (25 mg) and the topical steriod (?) clobetasol lipoba (.05%) which handles it ok sometimes but i still often have back to back bacterial and yeast (once in a while UTI) infections for months at a time.

I'm looking into seeing a natural pathic doctor, but am wonder what sorts of things any of you have tried other than prescription meds.

I already use fragrance and dye free everything (and even have my sexual parters use the same soap as me), only wear cotton underwear, aviod caffiene and tight fitting clothes. Has anyone tried the oxalate (prob spelled wrong) diet?
Hi..I've had chronic vaginal dermatitis for five years and its driving me mad!! I have had a biopsy done which confirmed the diagnosis but since I'm allergic to a lot of medications the only thing I'm allowed to use is dermovate. If the burning inside is intense, I usually put some plain greek yoghurt on a tampon and leave it in for a wee while. It gives a lot of relief at the time but sadly the burning starts again quickly once the tampon is removed.I have regular bouts of thrush and this usually makes the condition a lot worse. The dermatologist told me there was nothing she could do for me, I just had to try to live with it and try to manage the condition as best I could. I am desperate for help if anyone knows any alternative remedies. I am on a yeast free diet to try to limit the bouts of thrush, use alternative cleansing products etc. but this darn thing keeps raising its ugly head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I ran out of probiotics and my symptoms are worse. I think taking female probiotics really help.
I've been battleing eczema in the vagnial area for 10 year now.  I had all the test done.  The only thing that seem to work is when I have a asthma attack I end up in the hospital I'm place on steriods and by the time I come off of steriods after a week of being on them.  the eczema is completely clear up.  It' is when the steriods are out of my system that the skin problem is back.  I'm noticeing this is a big problem and the physician lack the ability to dignosis it or treate it .  We need help it is a disabling condition when it takes total control of your life.    ....We need help, Serous help
I too have the same problem but it is completely on the outside of my vagina and I've tried every cream, even tea tree oil and nothing helps. I am going to see my dermatologist in March and will be telling him exactly whats going on.  I cannot even have sex without discomfort, I am exhausted with the whole thing.  
I have also has vaginal eczema ever since my 2nd son was born and I was given a heavy dose of antibiotics. I have Candida (overgrowth of yeast) and if you look into this condition itching and problems in the genital and anal area is very common. Medicals doctors sometimes do not even acknowledge this condition and so you will not get a solution for it from them. The solution is definately to go the naturopath or holistic or homeopathic route for full cure.A Dr by the name of Michael Biamonte is an absolute expert in this condition and has cured it in many people. You can Google him. He does phone consults and can work with you remotely for a complete cure. It isn't easy but he really knows his business and handles yeast for sure of which vaginal eczema is merely a symptom albeit a very frustrating one. Hope this helps. I have also checked into other Candida websites and have found these somewhat helpful but I have been bad with eating sugar and have not have a full recovery althougn they have helped. I think when it comes down to it you really have to buckle down and change your diet drastically with correct supplements over a period of time to rid yourself of the overgrowth completely
I have just begun my suffering with vaginal exzema, but my sister has been suffering for more than a year. At one point, she became so infected from the scratching, the symptoms spreaded throughout her body, and now she has hardly any hair because it fell off of her head only to be replaced with red bumps, blisters and sores. She has seen every type of doctor imaginable...to include the infectious disease specialist in Atlanta. All they could say is that she does not have a sexual disease and considering that she has seen everyone else there is nothing they can do. She and I have both changed our detergents, soaps and we only wear white cotton underwear and loose clothing. I bathe 2 to 3 times a day just to keep the sweat from irritating my bumps and blisters. I am so frustrated and tired...What can we do???
so what everybody is saying there is no hope in trying to get read of this problem, i had it for 18 years and now it is spreading through my hole body i hate it i don't go any where anymore now.. i hate my life now ,i'm in just pure hell all the itching ,it is even in my eyes,, but there is nothing nobody can do...
Ladies I feel your pain.  Every time I go to my doctor, by the time I get there it is cleared up and there is nothing to show him.  I have had this condition off and on for five months, and it seems like now it is here to stay.  I have tried everything I can think of. Yeast infection creams are pretty much useless, A/D ointment and powder after every shower and at night seems to help a little, but doesnt clear it up.  Since I have had post-pregnancy eczema on my legs, arms, and even a little on my face, I have decided to go that route and try to use what cured that, which was Cetaphyl lotion and by going back to only using Dove white unscented soap.  I too, only wear cotton underware, although it seems trying not to wear underware at night or whenever possible does seem to help a little, along with keeping it dry.  I am at my wits end with this mess, as it is uncomfortable to have intercourse with my husband, and constantly wanting to scratch and trying not to gets old.  If I scratch at all I wind up causing small cuts in the skin, which only serve to further irritate the issue.  The skin between my vaginal opening and anus stays cracked and irritated  which causes it to burn during urination.  I am on a low hormone birth control pill, which doesnt seem to affect the problem either way, an I have done my best to avoid eating/drinking very much sugar, in the event that it could possibly be blood sugar related to no avail.  It seems to flair up more when I am stressed, and have wondered if it could be a blood pressure issue.  I will let everyone know how the Cetaphil/Dove Soap turns out, but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.  I have got to get rid of this somehow.  I can't live like this.  Medical doctors please help!  Someone needs to find a cure!
Well Hello all. I am glad to see that I am not the only one out there dealing with this issue. I started having symptoms about 2 years ago and all I was told is that it was a yeast inf. To take the Diflucan and it would go away. Well it didn't. Lasted about 3 to 4 weeks. It seemed like it would come every 3 to 4 months. Finally, I switched to a knew OB and she decided to do a Biopsy on me. Well got the news today that this is what I have. Finally got the answer to why I have been so miserable. The down side is  there was no cure for it. Bummer. I have read a lot on this and it has helped me understand more. I am going to try the Dove soap which my OB did suggest as well as a steriod cream. I hope in the near future some genius out there will come up with a pill of some sort and we all will be cured.
I have been dealing with this issue since January 2011.  It took me three months and about 5 doctors to be diagnosed.  None of them helped.  Two weeks ago I again reached my breaking point, I am a single mom of two young kids and I can't be in pain all the time.  I went to my local health food store and the lady there gave me the answer.  MILK THISTLE.  It's absolutely disgusting in the liquid form, but this gets into your bloodstream way faster.  Within 3 days I stopped using the steriod creams and within 5 days was almost pain free for the first time in five months.  I am about to switch over to the pill form but would recommend anyone dealing with this to try it!  Good luck!!
Ladies - I can't believe all your stories. My legend of a GP gave me Betnovate Ointment (betamethasone valerate) and this makes the vaginal eczema go away after a few days. Try it!
Thanks ladies for telling your stories - I've been dealing with the same thing for more than a year and I'm yet again, at my breaking point.  I appreciate all the suggestions for remedies as I too haven't had any luck... allergist, GYN, etc. no can help and someone really needs to help with this on a definitive medical level.  In the mean time, your posts give me some hope for some relief.
its a comfort to at least learn i'm not alone. i've been suffering with vaginal eczema, vaginal pressururticaria (which is basically an allergic reaction to friction), thrush, and pretty much allergic reaction to everything going (latex, lace,satin,shower gel, soap, laundry detergent- you get the idea) for 11 years. took me 8 years to get diagnosed, and several trials of creams which of course i was allergic to. i have allergic reactions to sex and my skin tears completely. my husband has had to lift me into a cool bath afterwards because i'm in so much pain and cant walk. this is a horrible and miserable condition to have. i wish i could say i found something which worked and i'm cued. i cant. but things have helped. 1. dont wash with soap, not even dove- wash with aqueous cream or hydromol cream, still cleanses but doesnt dry like soap. 2. eumovate which is a steroid ointment helped loads better than any cream i tried and turns out i wasnt allergic- yay! 3. shower once a day, no more, weirdly water can be drying for the skin. 4. always wear cotton underwear. 5. it was only found out that i had pressururticaria because i had just bought a rabbit, turns out i was allergic and started taking antihistamines and some of the symptoms started to clear up. i'm on 4 a day but they made the BIGGEST difference. They helped a lot although i dont know if i'm becoming immune to them now as things are getting really bad again. but still nowhere near as bad as the were a few years ago. i totally understand your pain ladies, and if anyone needs to chat, i'm here. Sorry this was so long!
I have siriasis aka really bad dandruff and i have been developing what looks like dry skin or eczema in vagina area and i have been using vagisil for it but it doesn't go away. Any ideas to help me out? Its itch and pain everyday and i work in a daycare so i move around alot which doesn't help it at all.
I have had on and off again bouts and have been diagnosed with Spongiotic Dermatitis and Probable Psoriasis. It is unbearable itching with sharp shooting pain.  Loss of sleep. Not able to work out as I was used to as I am so tired. This leads to depression and eating.  I am a bit better if I cut down on sugar but the rash never completely goes away, I do have a Steroid cream that I put on the other parts of my body with the rash but for the vaginal and anal area I have found an over the counter medication that will bring a few hours of relief.  You will have to ask the Pharmacist for it as it is not on the shelf. They may even have to order for you. This was my first non script miracle. See what you think and I hope it may help you.
Calmoseptine  
www.colmoseptine.com
I will at at least refrain from jumping off a bridge after hearing that so many other people have the same symtoms. My problem began in August with Pinworms. They got lost and spread to my vagina. I treated it like a yeast infection gone nuclear for two weeks before my online researching led me to the pinworm diagnosis. I even resorted to douching with peroxide and water. It took two more weeks 3 perscriptions and $300 later before I could go to bed without a freezer pop wrapped in a towel between my legs. It was the ONLY thing that would tame to INTENSE itching. I finally figured out that I was adding an ailment by over washing my vag. I destroyed all the healthy bacteria and completely destroyed all my natural moisture. I am about reduce my sugar intake, start a good probiotic and begin taking milk thistle. In the future I will only use water and maybe an occational Summer's Eve Sensitive wash .I highly recommend NOT using a douch EVER. Our bodies clean themselves and I swear ALL my problems began around the time I started douching after my period I have also benched my CPAP machine (used for sleep apnea) for a few weeks in fear that this is where the pinworm eggs are hiding. Continue to post updates b/c I feel so much more encouraged. Good Luck everyone ~ God Bless!
helpful post. my daughter has had same and all began with pinworms. any news?
Did you test for herpes?
I have something it felt like eczema because i was scratching so roughly and uncontrollably but it did go away for 2 days when i was on a trip. Now it is back but i am causing it to be bad skin and it is very very red in my vaginal area alittle on my thigh where i bend there and just above the area. I don't know what it is, but it has been this way for 6 months and i am frusterated with this condition. There are no bumps or anything to make me thing its a disease and when i get my pap they tell me my cells are strange but unknown as to what it could be. Help me please!

I just read your post and i have exactly the same symptoms as you.  I have had eczema for years and did not know that the severe itching i have had around my vagina could be the spread of this there.  I am in so much discomfort!!!!
Have you tried anything new??  I am off to get some Calmoseptine today.

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community