Unknown rash, no-itch, unknown cause

I have had the rash in the picture for approximately 3 years.  It was first noticed by my girlfriend in late 2007 when I returned from a deployment.  I do NOT know if I had this prior, as I never really looked at my back.  It has never itched, and I constantly forget about it.  It tends to redden further after sexual activity or hot showers. Its location is on my lower left back, right below the rib cage.  Just looking for any ideas of what it may be.  Thank you
From the symptoms since the rash has been present for such a long time, it can be due to dermatitis, eczema or psoriasis. Hives was a possibility had it come and disappeared, but since it is persistent so it is less likely. Psoriasis is a long-term (chronic) skin problem that causes skin cells to grow too quickly, resulting in thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin.It is thought that psoriasis occurs when the immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin.
I suggest you to get it evaluated from a dermatologist and get the diagnosis confirmed.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.