WHITE SPOTS ON SKIN

A FEW YRS AGO I STARTED GETTING A FEW WHITE SPOTS ON MY LEGS NOW THEY ARE SPREADING TO MY THIGHTS AND FORE ARMS AND MORE ARE APPEARING.I'M AFRAID I'M LOSING MY PIGMENT ALTHOUGHT I DO GET IN TANNING BEDS IN THE SUMMER TIME ALTHOUGHT I DON;T ABUSE THE TANNING.IGET A TAN THEN GO ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH TO MAINTAIN MY TAN TIL COOL WEATHER SO COULD THIS BE A FUNGUS AND WHAT CAAN I DO TO HELP GET RID OF THESE SPOTS,THEY REALLY LOOK BAD WHEN I TAN BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAN AND REALLY SHOW UP.THEY DON'T ITCH OR FLAKE AND YOU CANT FEEL THEM THEY ARE FLAT WITH THE SKIN.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had this same problem with my skin, I just recently went to the Doctor for it and he let me know that mine aren't a fungus :( I wish they were. Mine do itch, and I don't lay out in the sun or do tanning beds, but if the skin on my legs or arms is exposed to the sun, my skin becomes itchy and they multiply. I hate the way they look. The Dr. told me that its skin damage from sunburns that I recieved in the past for laying out, and he let me know that they are never going to go away. Hes the second over the last 10 yrs to tell me....
Helpful - 0
Hey there

Just to let you know - I finally decided to get off my bum today and visit the skin specialist about my skin problem (though I did have to wait for 4 hours =_=" since the clinic also doubles as a popular plastic surgery clinic where ppl could get botox injections and etc).

Anyway, the doctor said that my condition is probably heriditary and said that the appearance of the spots would vary with the weather and what activities I am doing. Sometimes the spots are very obvious and sometimes may not be there. He said that the reason why this occurs is because my veins are very close to the surface, and thus becomes very susceptible to heat changes. Whenever my veins dilate, the spots would become more obvious. When the veins shrink, the spots will become less apparent.

There isn't any medication for it and he said that there is nothing to worry about it although it can get quite unsightly at times. He did say that at most the spots will go up until the knee level but it won't go beyond that - which is some extent of relief for me.
Helpful - 0
Actually, I think I know what your describing lyn. A kinda patchwork pattern of white splotches bordered by veins? I've seen people with that, but mine are small bb sized spots, no texture at all, and they become MORE apparent in the cold, and extend up to my upper thigh. Actually, sadly enough they seem to spread very slowly and are on my chest as well. I have asked a doctor about them, but I got a worse answer than you, something like "Don't worry about it". Thats all nice and well, but I hate explaining them to people who treat me like a leper. Oh well, could be worse, I could be a leper huh lol. I do believe that its just a pigment change for both of us, and we can't do much but deal with, but thanks for the info.
Helpful - 0

For white lesions of the skin the differentials would be pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor and vitiligo .

The cause of pityriasis alba is unknown , tinea vesicolor is a fungal infection , vitiligo has an autoimmune origin .

Pityriasis alba usually occurs in children and young adults and may have very fine scales in the center of the lesions.The lesion is usually poorly marginated. Tinea present as white lesions but on covered areas may be brown or reddish in color. Vitiligo usually occurs in the face, axillae and on the dorsal surface of the hands.The lesions of vitiligo is well demarcated .They may start as small patches and slowly spreads to new areas for months and years.

A dermatologist will be able to differentiate the lesions through a complete physical examination and diagnostic tests since most basis of diagnosis for these conditions is clinical.

For the mean time,you may avoid further tanning or long exposure to the sun until the condition has been diagnosed.
Helpful - 0
Just to add,

One of the more miscellaneous causes of white patches or leasions in the skin is postinflammatroy hypopigmentation. This is usually due to a previous insult to the skin like dermatitis,scarring processes and thermal burns.

Hypopigmentation may resolve and repigmentation follows depending on the severity of the previous injury.

This is just one differential that may be significant to note.

Have you had your consult already?

Do keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
I have just noticed these white spots on my legs and arms  (some the size of a pencil eraser but most are smaller)  It's winter and I'm not in the sun.  I have tried to research it on the web and they always talk about autoimmune disorders.  My grandmother had reuhmatoid arthritis and my mom has hashimotos.  does anyone think that that may be the cause of my spots?  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community