Dermatology Forum

Warts on lips and hands (STD??) HPV?

About 2 and half months ago I had sexual intercourse with a prostitute. I wore a condom the whole time but have been worried sick. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a small bump on my lower lip and went to see a dermatologist who said it was a wart. He froze it along with 2 other “flat warts” on the back of my hand. I later went to another dermatologist who froze other small warts on my lips. They both examined my genital area and found no warts.

Do I have the STD or STI known as HPV?

Could I have just a common strain of the papillomavirus that will go away.

What are my limitations sexually speaking? I'm worried about spreading something.

Will I get genital warts since I have these said common warts on my lips and hands?

Even once these warts go away, are they really gone or just laying dormant (is my condition, whatever it is a life long thing.)

I didn’t give her oral sex and our lips touched but not even open mouth, just pecking. Is it even possible to get HPV (the sexually transmitted kind) that way. I thought there had to be genital contact, or oral to genital contact?

Is HPV permanent?
If I don’t have HPV is my current condition permanent?

Could I be carrier of the virus (infect woman and not know it)?

When will my lips be clear for good?
Even once they clear up can I still spread to females?

Is there a point where it’s going to be safe to say I’m not going to get genital warts or at least it’s highly unlikely they’ll develop.

Will my immune system eventually clear my body of this? Cure it? whatever I have.

Is it safe to resume sexual activity with whatever my condition is?
Is this something I need to inform future partners of?

Can I have unprotected sex or protected sex and not worry about spreading whatever I have related to this conditions.

Thanks in advance
Sir:

I understand your anxiety, but you must forgive for not answering every one of your questions point-by-point, as there are simply too many of them.  However, I think can tell what you need to know as follows:
1.  Even if the bumps on your lip were warts (and I am not certain they were), you almost certainly did not catch them from your sexual contact.  The time from contact was just too short.
2.  Your finger warts are irrelevant.  You can't spread warts from lips to hands.  It doesn't happen.
3.  I don't think you have any sort of STD.  You don't have to restrict your sexual activity over this, any more than you'd have to do that if you woke up one day and found some warts on your hands.
4.  Overall, you need to overcome your guilt and anxiety.  Your doctors couldn't tell you for sure where you got the warts they saw from, because there's no way to tell for sure, but it doesn't matter much because all you do with warts is treat them and move on.  (Yes, all warts are strains of the human papilloma virus (HPV), but that doesn't mean all are sexually transmitted.   You treat the warts and move on.  You've treated them.  Now it's time to move on.  If you need counseling to help you do this, please obtain it.  Also, avoid, high-risk sexual contacts.  Not worth it, don't you agree?

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
About 2 and half months ago I had sexual intercourse with a stripper/prostitute. I wore a condom the whole time but have been worried sick. I went to my doctor a couple weeks after and got tested for all the STD’s I could. Everything was negative and I will have H.I.V test repeated in a month or so. Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I noticed a small bump on my lower lip and went to see a dermatologist who said it was a wart. He froze it along with 2 other “flat warts” on the back of my hand. He said I could have spread the wart virus from my lip to my hands. I have a couple other really small ones on my hands and lips. He told me they were contagious and to come back in month. I’ve since been to another dermatologist that re-froze the same lip wart and two other little one’s she saw on my lower lip and she gave me some Aldara 5% for the hand warts that I didn’t want her to freeze yet because I want to see if these two other ones are going to scar bad, and she told me to come back in 6 weeks. I asked both dermatologists if it was possible they were sexually transmitted and they both said it was possible, but didn’t seem too concerned with finding out for sure.  I had both Dr’s examine my whole genital area and they said there were no warts. I’ve been researching a lot on line and I went to another doctor and asked if I had HPV and he said no but, aren’t all warts a strain of HPV (Human Papillomavirus Virus) even the warts a 5 year old has on his knee (I actually had a wart on my knee when I was 5). He said he thought I was out of the woods and they were a coincidence but I’m not buying that for a second….he even told me he’d never seen HPV in a male. Anyway, I guess this is where my questions begin.

1. Do I have the STD or STI known as HPV?
Or maybe I just have a common strain of the papillomavirus that will go away.

2. Is it possible, I just got common warts on my lips from her lips?

3. Neither of the dermatologists or the doctor mentioned anything about me having an STD or STI even after me telling them my story and examining me, including my genital region. Both dermatologists did say the lips were contagious but when I called the first dermatologist with questions he said it was fine to kiss now and resume sexual activity. In fact none said anything about limiting sexual activity because of my condition. What is my condition? What are my limitations sexually speaking? I worried about spreading something.

4. Will I get genital warts since I have these said common warts on my lips and hands?
Is there any point that it will be very unlikely that I will get them on my genitals.

5. I didn’t tell either doctor but I didn’t even give her oral sex and our lips touched but not even open mouth, just pecking. Is it even possible to get HPV (the sexually transmitted kind) that way. I thought there had to be genital contact, or oral to genital contact?

6. Is HPV permanent?
What is my current condition? To the best of your knowledge with the info, I’ve provided.

7. Whatever I have here (described) will it eventually be out of my system for good and never return.

8. Could I be carrier of the virus (infect woman and not know it)?
If the warts are caused by HPV, and I have it, even once it goes away, is it gone for good or just dormant (not visible). And could pop back up at any point.?

9. When will my lips be clear for good?

10. Can I be tested to find out which strains I have?
Are they the sexually transmitted variety?

11. If I did in fact spread from my lips to my hands is there any way to know when I can touch my lips again without spreading or when I can kiss woman without spreading them (even once warts clear up.)

12. If it’s just a harmless strain of the wart virus how long until it’s gone and is it really gone or just dormant and could pop up on lips, hands at any point.
Will my immune system eventually clear my body of this? Cure it?

13. Is it safe to resume sexual activity with whatever my condition is?
I’m worried about infecting future partners.

14. What is the difference between condyloma and the STD HPV?

15. What exactly is my condition?
Is there anything to worry about having sexual activity in regards to my condition.

16. Can I have unprotected sex or protected sex and not worry about spreading whatever I have related to this conditions.

In trying to figure out how I contracted whatever I have I’ve kind of lost my mind but was also thinking of things like: Could I have got on my fingers from fingering her (damaged because of excessive nail biting and cuticle damage and then spread to my lips from more nail biting (just a theory if it’s even possible, I don’t know.) also maybe from sucking her nipple if she had it there. Just thinking of unprotected areas, I guess.

Honestly right now you can barely see anything on my lips except a couple of tiny white spots and on my hands there are 4 or 5 microscopic warts. I hope I’m just worrying to much and blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Sometimes I think I’m just too nervous but I feel like my *** area is itchy sometimes and my genital area is sometimes itchy. You can skip some of my questions if they are too repetitive or stupid. I am just looking for your expert medical opinion and advice on my situation provided the info I’ve given. I apologize for the length of my message and some of the insanity that has become me at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any answers or advice you can give me.
I agree 100%. The anxiety alone isn't worth it. I will be much more selective in choosing my sexual partners going forward. I'm glad there is a forum like this available. This has helped me! Thanks again.
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions