Dermatology Community
53.8k Members
Avatar universal

Weird bump on face

On the check area right next to my nose the area started to turn red with what i thought was a pimple. Its been like two weeks and the bump got pretty decent sized then started to go down just every so slightly I think. The area is extremely hard but doesnt hurt at all.

What could this be?
3 Responses
Avatar universal

Rosacea is a chronic disorder primarily of the facial skin, often characterized by  redness on the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead that may come and go.  Over time, the redness tends to become ruddier and more persistent, and visible blood vessels may appear. Left untreated, bumps and pimples often develop, and in severe cases the nose may grow swollen and bumpy from excess tissue.

Rosacea may present with flushing, persistent redness, bumps and pimples, and visible blood vessels. Because the signs and symptoms of rosacea vary from one patient to another, treatment must be tailored by a physician for each individual case.
Various oral and topical medications may be prescribed to treat the bumps, pimples and redness often associated with the disorder. Treatments with lasers, intense pulsed light sources or other medical and surgical devices may be used to remove visible blood vessels, reduce extensive redness or correct disfigurement of the nose.
If it persists, it would be good to see your doctor for proper evaluation and management. Take care and keep us posted.
Avatar universal
the bump is no longer red though. its more of a black/purplish color
Avatar universal

How are you? Are there other signs or symptoms present? Was there any trauma to this area? Any bruise is usually recognized by their characteristic blue or purple colr after a few days. This is due to an  injury to biological tissue in which the capillaries are damaged, allowing blood to seep into the surrounding tissue.The likelihood of bruising, and severity of it, increases as one ages, because elderly human skin becomes thinner and less elastic. If it persists, it would be best to see your doctor fr further evaluation and management.  Regards.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions