54k Members

What home remedies have you tried for tinea versicolor? Were any effective?

A variety of home remedies are recommended for tinea versicolor. These are, for the most part, the ones that are recommended for other skin diseases such as eczema and acne. Many home remedies have some mild antibiotic and antifungal properties that might help, but in many cases, they may cause problems of their own.Tea tree oil, aloe vera, and garlic are all potential skin allergens and their application may cause an itchy, blistering reaction. Garlic is also a skin irritant as can be turmeric and apple cider vinegar when used excessively.Some home remedies such as coconut oil, oregano oil, and Indian lilac have the potential to encourage growth of the yeast, especially when they use an olive oil base. Yogurt has been recommended to be ingested and applied topically for the probiotic effect.While most home remedies are harmless, there are no studies to suggest that any of them, or diet manipulation, will be helpful in most patients.None of these have been studied in pregnancy and all herbal and "natural" treatments should be approached carefully in the pregnant patient.Talk to your doctor before starting any home remedy as some may interact with medications you are prescribed.
I've tried them all - the vinegar, the shampoos; the only thing that seems to control my tinea versicolor is the yeast pills. I went to the health food store and got them. I take 2 twice a day. I still have it, but it's not as bad. They say this stuff isn't contagious, but all 4 of my siblings have it. I remember my grandmother had it as well. Thankfully, none of our kids has it.
I have tinea versicolor on my face with white spots on my face. My doctor recommended me Remus ointment, 0.1 Oradin 10 mg, and Riboson 5 mg but they didn't work. It is increasing day by day.
Selsun anti-dandruff shampoo is good. It can clear tinea versicolor. I have had this problem for a bit, and it always comes back every so often, but this helps.