What is red rash around lower leg above the ankle?

Recently returned from Disney World and develop a red blotch rash just above the ankle bone on the inside of my leg.  The rash looks like specks of blood under the skin and in some areas form large red blotch.  There is slight swelling in the lower ankle area.  I did a lot of walking and the temperatures were in the upper 80's and lower 90's.  Is it weather related, lack of fluid?  I have never experienced this before.  Have read the blogs, seems others suffer from the same or similar symtoms.  

This discussion is related to Lower Leg Rash.
At last I am not alone - thought I was the only one to suffer from Disney Legs.  Returned from Florida yesterday after 2 week holiday spent 4 days at disney parks and it happened straightaway - this happens every time I go to Florida (been going 10 years now) and I too was told its the extreme heat reflecting back off the ground!!. I am the only person in my family this happens to. Its so unsightly and uncomfortable and at times sore to the touch and looks like bleeding under the skin like burst capillaries.  I saw a pharmsist  who advised hydrocortisone cream and keep legs up but no one seems to have proper diagnosis.  Holiday carried on to the Keys, Fort Myers and Clearwater and whenever I walked anywhere it flared up again.  I have also had it very mildly when skiing in France- don't know what to make of that!!  I love my holidays to Florida and have now just accepted that this is what I have to put up with if I want to visit Mickey Mouse!!
My case is slightly different.  I badly bruised my left shin while boating and swimming in the San Juaquin Delta on Labor Day.  I developed a painfully bruised shin bone and large hematoma at the point of impact.  

The entire lower left leg also became red and hot.  The doctor said it was all related to the hematoma, and gave me a tetanus shot and anti-biotic to eliminate any secondary infection.

Well, it has been two months and the swelling and hematoma are gone. However, the hot and red area has NOT diminished, and is still hot, red and itchy over the entire lower left leg, and occassionally weeps.

I have been applying OTC anti-bacterial and anti-fungal creams and hydrocortisone daily. What else is going on that keeping the leg hot and red??  Did I pick up a nasty bacteria from the Delta water, that only
affected the lower left leg, even though I had my entire body in the water?  HELP!!
Check with a hematologist.  Possible blood clot or at least bad circulation.
Can't believe these posts. I have the same rash happening...i am in Disney World searching the internet for answers while doing laundry at Ft Wilderness! I am concerned about going back to repeat a 4th day of extreme walking in the parks today. Noticed the rash last night. Have never had this before. Been to Disney many times.
I just got back from Orlando Florida my boyfriend and I both got this mysterious itching around the ankles!!
Im from Georgia and I know this itch anywhere!!! I'm convinced it's "chiggers"!!!! The best remedy is put clear fingernail polish over the bites and try very hard not to scratch yourself to pieces.
Just moved to Florida.
Yesterday was the hottest day in December this year.
I spent the day at Hollywood Studios.
While I am overweight, I walk or run 3 miles every day and am quite active.
I wore an mid-calf length skirt, & no socks.  The rash starts above my ankle, and ends around my skirt hem.  The rash is mostly prominent on my inner legs, but not so much on the out sides of my legs.    
I did sit on the curb as we ate our lunch, and later on the curb while waiting for a parade.  Wondering if everyone on this post sat down on a curb or the ground at some point for a parade perhaps?  
It does seem irregular that so many people share the exact same symptoms, and it is simply 'heat reflection' related.  
Thanks for the posts - it has been very informative and helpful to read to keep my panic at bay.  
I have been having this problem for a few years now. I get it when traveling to any tropical place with weather ranging in 80-90 degrees. Reading many of these posts it seems like I have the very same symptoms; rash in lower leg mostly inside and closer to my calves. From time to time i get it on my fingers and hands as well. They usually start with several scattered bumps on the 2-3 day of my trip and get progressively worst, i.e the bumps become more condense and it almost looks like a large patch. I have had these recurrence problem in Hawaii, Thailand, Cambodia, Costa Rica, and Caribbean Islands. I use a topical cream (prescription only) called Clobetasol Cream 0405 which helps quite a bit with the itching and swelling. So this creamhas become a must item in most of my trips. However this is only treating the symptoms and not finding the cause. I would like to know if there is anyway to stop this skin condition when travelling.I find this problem to also be somehow connected to the lower immune system, because in many instances it is followed by a cold/flu.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have the same rash.  It was first noticed on my lower right leg on the inside just above my ankle after my husband and I had spent the day in the water at Lido Beach, in Florida.  It went away within a few days.

A month later we went on a cruise and overnight it returned, in the same area, only much larger, bigger than a quarter.  It went away after about a week.

The next time it returned after I spent the day at Disney walking.  This time it spread to several places on my lower right calve and also began appearing on my left lower leg as well.  It doesn't hur, it doesn't it.  It will be slightly raised at first and then is just a flat, red/pink splotch.  I have been applying various things such as Lotramin, peroxide, antibiotic cream.  My hygene is very good and I wear clean clothing every day.  I am concerned that I came in contact with some bacteria at the beach.  I use an epil to remove hair from my legs which would have given the bacteria an easy access to get under my skin.
It's called Exercise Induced Vasculitis, or more commonly, Golfer's Vasculitis.   Just Google it for information.  There's a thread dedicated to it on MedHelp.
I have had this on several ocassions...I think it is just from walking alot and standing on your feet for long periods of time. I went to six flags this week and after being on my feet and walking for 9 hours. It goes away a few days. I wouldnt worry about it...It happened to me when I was in my 20's and now 40's.
really helpful post - just returned from Scoot
and am miserable!
I have gotten the ankle rash every time I have gone to Disney parks.  I noticed it first at EPCOT 20 years ago and the first aid station nurses called it "concrete dermatitis"  Ha.  I am a nurse and that struck me funny.  I ended up on other trips visiting a "doc in a box" doctor and would end up on a dose pack of steroids.  I actually would go to my home doctor and ask for some steroids in advance so I wouldn't have to take time out of my trip, if the rash came back.  It sure is an ugly looking thing.  

But over the years, I have encountered the rash at the beach once (walking in the heat of bike paths), in Italy in the heat (walking lots in the villages) and most recently on a cruise in Rome where we walked probably seven miles or more.  This last time, I had had long pants on.  And I still go the rash!  I am 55 and overweight but walk a lot.  I had no steroids, but had some steroid cream and antihistamines.  The rash was raised, hot and ugly.  Not what you want on a cruise!  So, I used the steroid cream and doubled up on antihistamines (you can during peak allergy season) and it went down in a couple of days versus a week or more without treatment.  

Don't know how to avoid it.  Walking is one key, heat another but prevention....not sure.
I'm just experiencing a similar rash & ankle swelling after having done a lot of walking in the heat on Sat.

I found you comment very helpful, but--what is heat fomentation?

Thanks!
hi - i went to universal and disney over july 12th, 2012. we walked all day friday. i woke up sat. am and had the rash. no swelling or burning and walked all day sat. went home and used steriod cream and it got better.  it's now a week later and some rash has return not as severe. i saw something on line about mites getting under the skin and that white blood cells fight the infection (?).  will cont. to research.
I have experienced this rash. I did used different socks, long pants and work in the hospital environment.  It has been hot and humid in CA.  I have not been to Disney.  So, is it the long time being on my feet, dependent swelling of ankles?  What do we all have in common?  Is it a cleaning solution? Pets?  Genetics or age?  I also used benadryl and hydrocortisone creams to reduce the itch and redness.  Elevation of the legs will reduce the swelling.  Any commonality?  Just curious.
I have been going to Disney World or Universal Studios every year since I was in my teens and am now 45. I get the rash every time. I am not sure I believe it is from the heat off the ground, but would be more inclined to believe it is poor circulation and pooling in the lower legs breaking the blood vessels and causing the rash. It is hot at first, red and angry looking, then it starts itching. If you do not scratch it goes away faster. It usually darkens after a day and then fades after a few days. My theory is of course the walking you do at a theme park, but also the standing in one spot for so long waiting for your turn on a ride. No one else in my family gets this, and we are all walking the same and standing the same amount of time, but I have poor circulation in my lower extremities, ( inhereted this from my father and his mother). I believe that is why it happens to me and not everyone else in our party.
I think your answer is correct. Just got back from Disney with same thing.... first started about 10 years ago in Disney.... Since then the same thing happens if I am waling about an environment with lots of pavement... So the radiating heat seems to be the common denominator.
we have gone to WDW every year since 2003, sometimes several times a year...the first time I got the rash at my ankles was Dec 2007, but have gotten it every time since... one year on a May trip it got so bad that it was so inflamed and hot to the touch that I took a picture with my camera... I am (was ) a waitress for 20 years on my feet sometimes 11 hours a day without a break... when I went back to work I still had it and one of my regular customers who is an ER Doctor came in to eat.. I showed it to him and he said it looked like  petechia... now when I went to my family Doctor and told him about it he said he didn't think that is what it was (Funny part is my Doctor trained the ER Doctor) we haaven't been to WDW in 2 years this month.  After the last time I got it it left permanent marks on my legs above the sock lines (which is where it always appeared)  my Doctor said they are freckles ( I have never freckled) to me they are scarring... we go back in Dec it will be interesting to see what happens
I am just flabbergasted, but so thankful. I think my husband thinks I'm nuts. I wore jeans and sandals both times I went to Disney World last month: about 2-3 weeks apart. I got this same horrid rash above my sandals, which go above my ankles, and covering about 6 inches up my leg all the way around. What is it? Heat, abrasion of the jeans against it. I am intrigued by the Thunder Mtn post because I did ride that each time. I never walk on the grass though, so I am not sold on fertilizer. There must be something. A product. So weird. Thanks so much for helping me feel less freaky.
I am a Security Officer and have been for 7 years now. I work nights 12 hours shifts and yesterday during my shift I began to feel a burning sensation around my ankles. when i took my boots off , i noticed the reddness going up to my caffs. I still have it today and when i touch it it hurts feels like it burns. its been hot and humid this past days and im working at the Island. this is the first time this happens to me but i think it has to do with the heat.
I just got back from Disney in Orlando.  After going to Magic Kingdom, I developed the same type of rash described in the other posts.  This is the second time that I have had this type of rash.  The other time was two years ago -  went to Disney.
It would be nice to know what causes this rash.  After we left the park, one of the other families that were with our huge group called and said she might have a cause of the rash that she had seen on my ankles.  She said that while her family was walking along she noticed puffs of smoke coming out near the walking areas.  She heard that this smoke (spray) was used to keep the mosquito/insect population away from the people at the park. I don't know if this might be the cause of the rash, or is it from too much walking, high temps and humidity, and swollen ankles.
After such an injury related to the circulatory system, please do not try to treat your symptoms with over the counter remedies unless your doctor has adivsed you to do this. If your current symtoms are related to the injury (and based on the info you provided, they likely are), you need to see your doctor ASAP!!!! and stop with the multiple creams every day.  Excessive use of hydrocortisone, in any form, is not good for you for so many reasons, and using an antibacterial agent PROMOTES the growth of fungus.  You need to know the CAUSE of the redness.  You may even be causing it with your treatment.  PLEASE stop all this and see your doctor at least one more time and TELL YOUR DOCTOR what you have been doing.  If you don't trust your doctor, see another one ASAP.  If you do feel like your doctor is hearing what you say and is trustworthy, be sure that he/she fully understands how frustrating your ongoing symtoms are, and SAY so if you intend to go ahead with your own treatment plan.....which will at least give your doctor a chance to explain to you whether or not you may be injuring yourself, possibly causing permanent damage.  The key here is COMMUNICATION with your healthcare professional.  I can't stress enough how important it is for you to see a doctor or nurse practitioner for follow up with ANY symptoms that may be even remotely related to your injury two months ago.
I have found Lanacome helps with the pain of the spots on my legs.  Until we can find an answer, all the above is what I have heard....
I break out with a rash just above my ankles in the summer when I am at work. It can get really hot and I do walk a lot all day. It is not a raised up rash, just looks like blood under the surface of the skin. It does how ever have a slight tingling sensation. Is this a heat rash or what?
I had the exact symptoms you described recently this past two weeks myself. It started out as small red patches near both the bottom of both ankles so went to the dermantologist who said it looked a lot like tick bites so did a lyme test which came back negative but was given steroid creme and told to take a prescription of doxycyclyn for 10 days. Took the meds and was doing better then by the end of the week, felt an itching on the bottom of my legs which felt like something biting me and all of sudden these large red/brownish dots appeared all over my bottom legs so went to the ER...however they could not figure out what I had...One said Purpura, Vascullitus, and another possibly cellulitus....then did a bunch of blood tests...all came back normal. Now after continuing the medications...and went to the beach yesterday and got in the salt water...my legs look a lot better.  
I think there are separate issues at play here.  I believe that GV may be an explanation for the bright red, non-itchy variety, but my rash is thick raised itchy welts that are definitely an allergic reaction to something at DW.  I visit theme parks frequently, walk for long periods of time, and I never have this issue anywhere but at DW.  In fact, I have stayed at two different resorts at DW, and I have only suffered from this while staying at Port Orleans Riverside (twice).  I developed my rash after I used my shoe to rub a spot on my leg that was itchy.  From there it spread like wildfire on both ankles.  My rash has continued to get worse after arriving home and staying off my feet.  My lower legs are swollen, the rash itches and burns like crazy, I have huge hive-like bumps, but very little discoloring.  Topical Benadryl does not help the itch or swelling.  The only thing that helps is to take an oral dose of Claritin (that's what I had on hand).  This is acting more like poison ivy or a reaction to a pesticide, but I do not have pustules or blisters.  I did not go in the pool.  No one else in my family develops a rash like this.  I am young-ish at 40, the first instance was when I was 33.  The first time I developed it, I was wearing flip flops.  I made sure to wear shoes and socks this time; however, that didn't help, it just started at the sock line.  I would be interested to know where other people have stayed.  Between POR visits, I visited and stayed at All Star Music following all the same routines and did not develop a rash.  This is why I think it is a Disney issue -- specifically a resort issue -- and not GV.  I tried very hard NOT to rub my ankles with my shoes on this last trip, but standing in crowded lines made it impossible to bend over to scratch and I finally caved, much to my disappointment.  I will have to go see my doctor because it shows no sign of abatement after a few days at home.
We too had the same problem.. in Aug of 2012 for 10 nights we went to WDW and my 10 yrs. old daughter developed a rash on her lower legs...at Magic Kingdom. it got so bad that we had to wheel chair her out because she could not walk. And we went to seek medical help at Centra Care. There she received a steroid shot and was put on antibiotic's, we were bed ridden for two days at Pop Century, We thought it was the pool...NOW we just returned from a short 4 day visit to WDW during 11-15-13 threw 11-18-13, spent the first two days at Epcot and walk a lot but no rash, as soon as we went to Magic Kingdom...boom it happened and the weather was much cooler and to say the first two days at Epcot was drizzly and light rain...but as soon as the weather cleared and we went to MK it came out. We applied cortisone 10 and it helped and it finally went away a few days later. I have her Pedi on alert and I think my daughter will be going to a allergy specialist. seems as if there's something in the grass or ground there at MK causing this...also to mention we vacationed in Hawaii this summer for two weeks and we did a 2 mile hike up the diamond head crater to view Waikiki and my daughter did get a little bit of a rash on the lower leg area and it went away with the cortisone crème but it was nothing like the rash she just got at MK for one day. Hawaii was warm too in the mid 80's to 90 degrees...either its some kind of allergic reaction to some type of weed or grass or its something WDW uses on the grounds... or both. I wish WDW could make a statement about this...
We visited Disney World December 3 - 5, 2013. We did not stay at any of the resorts in Orlando. We stayed at a timeshare in Cocoa Beach.  We live in Northern California.

I developed this same rash the first day there.  I didn't notice it until later in the evening. We were watching the fireworks show at Epcot and my lower legs felt warm. It was dark, so I couldn't see my legs very well.  I had on long pants, ankle socks and tennis shoes, but they appeared to be red.  When we got back to the timeshare that evening and I removed my pants, my legs just above my socks and below my knees were bright red. They felt warm to the touch and tight, slightly swollen.  The next morning my son looked it up on the internet and found all of the posts regarding the rash, many of them from Disney World.  

My husband and son reminded me that a few years ago when we had visited Disneyland I had this same thing happen.  I had forgotten.  I believe it is related to our genetic makeup, lots of walking, time onour feet and heat.  It was in the low 80's, but we were on our feet for 8 to 10 hours.  I'm female, 55 years old and in pretty good physical shape.  It did not happen to my husband, son or daughter in law.

On one of the posts the individual used aloe vera gel, so I picked some up along with some knee high socks.  I also took some ibuprohen. We took a break the next day and it started clearing up some.  I also spent some time walking in the surf at the beach, hoping it would help to clear it up.  We went back to Disney World the next day and it came back, but not as bad.  We left two days later on a cruise and it was just about completely gone.

Sounds like something that some of us will just have to deal with if we plan to spend alot of time on our feet.

Theresa.... thank you thank you thank you! I was shocked at all the Disney incidents...like mine. You were so smart to consult Disney's first aid. I feel you have answered me, and that answer brought me peace of mind. Please know you have helped someone today.
I just came back from a 3 week  European vacation and same thing happened to me. Lots and lots of walking..LOTS...i developed the rash on one leg(around inside ankle area) and then the next  a couple of days later.  Lasted practically the whole trip. Weather was nice, not too hot. i flew back on Thursday night and by Fri/Sat rash was completely gone..??  Have been to Disney lots of times(live in FL) and this is the first time i get a rash. I was planning on going to Dr, but it is gone so googled it instead. seems to be common...and with no clear reason...
Just returned from Atlantic city developed the rash after walking on the boardwalk n the heat. Wasn't concerned until it spread. I have recently had a shoulder implant so that is what concerned me. I looked it up on the internet found golfers vasculitus and stopped worrying it has gone now I am home.
This is the best explanation I've seen in a lot of posts.  And, it is quite believable considering the fact that my first experience with the rash was during extremely hot days last month - in Italy!  So, I guess the Disney water and other park-related causes appear vindicated!
I am currently in Orlando and got this same rash after each day we've been to Disney. It takes several days to clear, even using a Benedryhl spray. :( I've just found this thread in my search to figure out what caused it. I felt my legs being sprayed during the Captain EO experience/show as a part of the air-affects the first day and though I might have been allergic to something in the pressurized air under the seat. But the other two days can't be just coincidence. :( Thank you for assuring me I'm not alone in this Disney rash. Oh and the temps were not high each day. It's very mild and not humid and I live in SoFlorida so I'm not doing anything drastically different than my normal climate.
I got this rash after vacaruining in Flordia as well.....only difference for me is a year later I still have the rash, swollen feet and itchy when I get in a room above 70....feels like the blood in my feet is boiling. Doctors have no clue around me....any ideas?
Ps: my uncle also developed the same thing in Flordia and still has it (different visit to Flordia than me) he has seen specialists in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, NYC, Washington and they all have no idea
I got this rash after vacationing in Flordia as well.....only difference for me is a year later I still have the rash, swollen feet and itchy when I get in a room above 70....feels like the blood in my feet is boiling. Doctors have no clue around me....any ideas?
Just got back from Florida and have the same symptoms! Hoping it will go away soon.....
Try wearing compression stockings , sounds like a circulation problem .
I walked a lot (about 7 hours) with heavy bags on Friday and Sunday at a large Expo in Anaheim (across from Disneyland),  I am also overweight (like 40 lbs over my normal weight).
I was shocked when I took my pants of to find "the rush"  a 3 inch red  band 2 inches above my ankle and around the leg....
Now.... I have an old injury on that ankle so in addition to "the rush" the ankle was swollen but I could see the beggining of the rush (with much less swelling) on my other leg.
I got a similar thing when flying 10 hours and standing a lot because of airport delays.
I am pretty sure the paramedic that posted on this same thread is on to something...injury to tissue on feet/ ankles, etc...from prolonged walking or being on your feet.
So happy and relieved I found this thread!
Had the same DISNEY rash.  It may be the chemicals but I attacked it from the sweat line.  Last time I wore Crocs canvas shoes without sox and did not have an issue at all (6 days).  Now I was down at Halloween, temps great - low to mid 80's - that may also helped.  Just a suggestion.      
I first got the ankle rash in the 1980s in Washington DC after walking on the grass at the Mall in late spring or summer.  It was red, blotchy, slightly raised, but not itchy or painful.  I was wearing shorts and sandals without socks; the rash was only on the inner ankles and I concluded it was from some sort of pesticide used on the Mall that was kicked up as I walked - that seemed to explain the odd "inner ankle only" location.  The rash went away when I got a tube of cortisone cream, not ointment, from a pharmacy.  My dermatologist at the time had no idea what it was because it had cleared up by the time I got home; his first guess of "allergy to laundry soap on socks" wasn't helpful because I wasn't wearing socks and hadn't changed detergents.  It came back every time I went to DC and walked on the Mall wearing sandals without socks.  Now I go to Disney World a lot and usually wear pants and socks with athletic shoes, but I still get that inner ankle rash - and it no longer goes completely away after 30+ years.  Cortisone cream seems to work best.  
I get this rash whether I go to Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens and Universal. it is annoying. Went to Er about it and they sent me to a dermatologist  to biopsy it. will post results..... The er doctor said it is definitely an allergic reaction to something
I have been looking this up and I think we have what is called Rosea Pityiasis.  Which I did not know about until I looked up my symptoms.  I have the rash at the moment.  I did get a rash on my arms, back and legs but it has been three months now and I am hoping that in August I will be done with it.  I think personally we are being used as guinea pigs, I believe this is man made and we are being deliberately infected.  If you look it up it can be man made.  Its believed that its related to the Herpes virus.  I would have thought that there is a campaign of infecting people in Disney as you have noticed that most of you were at the same place when you noticed the rash.  I have been noticing similar situations.  I personally think that I have been reinfected on several occasions in different places as I have noticed people with similar symptoms around me at the time of infection.  There is a race on at the moment to find a Herpes vaccine and of course they need subjects to inject.  It wouldn't surprise me if there has been an increase in Herpes in the years leading up to a vaccine.
Dear Watertight1 aka Jerry Fletcher,
   According to the CDC, statistically, 75%-80% of Americans carry at least one Herpes Simplex Virus (Type 1 or 2).  There are 9 known types of human herpesvirus, from HSV 1,to HHV 6B, as of 2011. There is absolutely, no shortage, of people willing to test treatments and vaccines. Thus, there would be no benefit for Disney, a Big Pharma Villain, or the Government to infect unsuspecting individuals, in some "Black Book Operation Herpes Project"... Sorry Jerry Fletcher, try again, maybe it's a new Zoological Crossover Influenza? You go ahead and do the research. Or, could it be that people who stand in line for long periods of time, like for a ride at Disneyland, may develop a Vascular Disorder? Vascular Disorders are common. Many of the symptoms, like the red splotchy skin, will go away with cold compress treatment, leg elevation, or compression stockings. Jerry Fletcher, please see the definition of Occam's Razor.
I developed the same thing in Italy. I was on a tour where we did a lot of walking. Temperature and humidity were high and the tour guide said she has several people who get this every trip when they get to Italy. Was told by pharmacist over there that it is a circulation problem. There were three or four of us that developed this condition. We were all over 60 years old. I am overweight, but in good health otherwise. Others were normal weight. It is slowly going away. It is not a Disney or Florida thing. Seems heat and standing or walking for long periods of time are the common factors. Not sure you need to rush out to the doc, but probably should mention it at next checkup.
I first developed this 'rash' on holiday in Florida in 1989 and seem to get it now every time I fly anywhere at all or spend a day out walking for long periods after traveling any way.  It seems to be triggered by walking a lot on ankles that have been swollen from traveling especially flying.  My doctors were mystified and I was sent to a hospital to see a consultant who couldn't offer much help but to tell me it wasn't harmful as when pressed on the colour left the area and you could see the finger prints for a short time.  Subsequently one time it was very bad and a doctor thought it was cellulitis and I was given antibiotics but on research cellulitis doesn't fade when pressed.  I have had the rash in the USA, Dubai, Spain, Italy and France.  I tested out a theory two years ago traveling to Spain and again about a month ago traveling to Italy that I had  and it does seem to work if a little uncomfortable for the first day of the trip.  I wear compression socks from the minute I leave home and leave them on for the journey and then until the  next morning.  Any swelling of the ankles has then subsided which I think is the main cause of this. I do bathe my lower legs in water as cold as I can stand every evening too whilst away.  On both these trips although I sometimes felt the rash was coming on it never actually did - so after 27 years I think I maybe have the answer!!  
I recently walked around Epcot with 5 family members. Three of us were over 50. Two of the over 50s noticed this rash that looks like blood under the skin thats bright red and blotchy on the inside of our calves from atop the ankle to midway up the calves. It didnt itch and it was not painful. I did have some slight swelling around an ankle that had been fractured in my teens. The rash went away in less than a week. I guess our legs got a pounding from 11 hours on pavement. No worries.
This is related to poor circulation and heat.  I've had a blood clot in my left leg at 63 yrs and so know some of this by experience.  The rash you experience is due to poor circulation (blood not returning well from the legs) and the combination of heat.  Blood pressure builds up in the vessels from walking and standing (as in waiting for rides) and then extra heat expands those capillaries until they start leaking.  Yesterday at a museum I walked slowly and stood a lot for about 4 hours, got into the jacuzzi when I got home and whalah!  Rash.  Again this rash is capillaries breaking.    You would be wise to watch for blood clot symptoms as you age because of the poor circulation. Compression stockings should help when you do these long stints of walking and standing as one person suggested.  Then cold compresses at the end of the day.
Does the rash go away? I'm currently in Italy and I have this rash near my ankles. I'm convinced it's the same thing as we spent all day walking around Venice and then the tash appeared. I'm worried the rash will remain there :-( Also what can I do to help it? I have been given cream that I'm applying and I elevated my legs at night. Anything else I can try? Many thanks
I just did 4 parks in one day and my FitBit told me I walked 10.5 miles total, and when I got home and took off my tennis shoes I saw the rash on my inner leg, just above my ankle and just below my calf. It didn't itch and it wasn't swollen just really red and diseased looking. I took an antihistamine that night and the following day it looked no better after about 3 days of using prescription cortisone cream it looks a lot better. I go to Disney a lot and have never had this happen before the weather was beautiful, 79 degrees not hot. The only difference is I went to Animal Kingdom which I haven't been there in a long time and I did walk through a plant when someone was blocking a walk way. The time before when I was at Disney I saw someone with a similar rash. It's so weird, it's just a mysterious Disney rash. I do feel better knowing there are so many others who have had it, I seriously thought I was diseased and dying!
I have the same rash on both legs. How long did it take gor it to go away? What do i need to take or puy in it?
Mine took about 5 days to clear up but I used prescription strength cortisone cream on it and I didn't think it was doing much until one day it was very faint and by the end of that day it was hardly noticeable. Hope that helps.
I got this same rash in Florida Disney ..hot really angry rash from my ankles to just below my knees ..   it occurred  after going on the water rides ..  I went to see a medic at one of the parks who seemed to think it may be a reaction to the anti fungal that they put in the water at the parks .. it cleared up with in a couple of days ..
I had the same rash in April 2017 and it took about a week to clear. I just rubbed TEATREE oil diluted with coconut oil and it cleared and never seen
Ian at Disneyworld as I type. I am searching for the reason that I am developing a bad rash from my ankle to the top of my calf. It's spreading. I have been in the water buts it's not above my calfs. I was on the avatar ride which has a support that touches this area of my leg. I wonder if Disney is using some kind of chemical on this ride. 8/23/17
I just left the medical station at the magic kingdom. It turned out to be Golfer Vasculitis caused by the concrete and the heat. The medical staff were very friendly.