Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

What is this bump on my lip? mucocele?

i accidentally posted this question on someone else's thread, sorry for the repeat:

I have a bump on the inside of my lip, which is visible from the outside of my mouth.  It is raised up from the skin, and appeared about a week ago.  You can see a picture here:


I would estimate this is about 7mm wide and 6 mm tall.  

This is from about 5 days ago, since then it has stayed about the same size and gotten dark red on half of it from blood on the inside.  I went to see a doctor today, he said it could be a cyst that formed over a damaged saliva duct.  Also, he said it could possibly be a herpes sore.  I have no history of herpes and haven't kissed anyone in a few months.   It doesn't hurt at all.    My doctor said it is unlikely to be a wart; his basis for this was that it formed rapidly.  This thing kind of just popped up a week ago.    Do you have any idea what this could be?

He gave me a herpes medication 'Zovirax' (acyclovir)  and told me to try it for a week and also to apply compression to the bump with a warm towel 3 times a day.  I am going back in a week to have it checked out.  I have also read that evening primrose oil helps mucocele's go away, would you recommend using this?

Sorry for the lengthy messagee, i am just very worried.  I appreciate any help you are will to give.  

1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
From the symptoms I agree with your doctor that it can be a mucocele or some cyst forming due to clogging of some ducts. Mucocele is a rubbery, bubblelike painless swelling. It is usually inside the lower lip, under the tongue or the inside of mouth and caused mainly by biting the lips or trauma during eating of food.

Usually it goes away on its own. But if it does not, then corticosteroid injections and surgical removal by scalpel or laser are done by a dermatologist. It then has to be differentiated from other mucocutaneous lesions also.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions