54k Members

Why is there white fuzz and grass-like material coming out of skin?

For the past 2 years I have been experiencing strange material coming out of my skin and hair. It first started with white fuzz similar to what you would find on the end of a q-tip.  Then in addition to the white fuzz I also started getting black fuzz. It is very small but the overall quantity becomes quite alarming. I have seen many doctors from dermatologist to naturopath to know real avail. I was treated for a possible fungal infection being prescribed 200 mg of ketoconazole for a 2 month duration. Though this may have reduced the overall quantity, it did not solve the issue. More recently, within the past 6 months I would say, I've had a grass or hay like substance also extruding from my skin. The color of this material varies between green to a tan and brown. The tan and brown variation looks a lot like dried grass where is the green takes on the appearance of fresh grass. At times I will have dark single concretions that are hard, much like a seed in addition to the other material I have described. Out of curiosity I broke open one of the hard concretions and what came out of it was the white fuzz as described above. The areas that seem to be greatest affected are my scalp, my back and my legs. And there seems to be some correlation either between hair follicles or sweat glands. I'm just not really certain as to which. It is very bizarre and upon speaking about it with many healthcare professionals the general consensus is I'm either making it up or I am completely delusional. I have no prior mental health issues. I'm not on drugs. And I'm certainly not making this up because it is by far the most embarrassing thing I've ever dealt with in my 45 years of life. It has affected my ability to socialize with others and often keeps me from going out as often as I used to just out of fear that someone may notice. The white and black fuzz has some sort of sticky component to where it is attached itself to all my clothing and is not water soluble. I spend hours upon hours lint rolling and pill shaving my clothing. At times I just get so frustrated I just throw out whatever item is covered in this material. I have a husband and kids and neither one of them seem to be affected by this so thank goodness it is not contagious. But I am so embarrassed and ashamed by whatever is going on that I don't talk about it with anybody other than my husband. I feel like I have this dirty little secret that I cannot talk about with anybody because of what they might think of me. I do not know where else to turn medically, because I have gotten such a poor reception from doctors. I've spent hours upon hours searching the internet looking for an answer and I am at a dead end with trying to figure this out on my own. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, I have washed my hair and body from everything from apple cider vinegar to ketoconazole shampoo to benzoyl peroxide wash to sulfur soap. I know I sound like I'm crazy. But please understand I'm not crazy this is not in my head and I would do anything in the world just to make it stop. So if anybody has any input as to what in the world is going on with me I would be so grateful. In fact I would take any input at this time because I am at a dead end with trying to find the answer so I can go back to being just a normal person with a normal life.
.
Is anyone else in your family able to see this material coming out of your skin?