Wrist rash spreading to body

My husband has had a rash on his wrists for a few months now that he has been treating with Cortizone-10 to no avail. Within the last week, he complained of a very itchy elbow which within a day produced a quarter-sized, scaly, red and white lump. The last couple of days, he has been scratching his palms practically non-stop. Today, he complained there are patches on his legs. I've visited some other websites, but they list more than 50 possibilities so I came here to find out what this is and suggestions for home treatment.

Note - One of the pharmacists with whom he works suggested shingles. How could that have happened?
From the symptoms it can be contact dermatitis, eczema or granuloma annulare. It does not sound like shingles to me which presents as painful itchy blisters on the chest and back. It is characterized by round bump or rash appearing on the joints or back of hands. No treatment is required and it may go on its own. Severe cases may need steroids, non-steroid topical anti-inflammatory creams such as tacrolimus, cryotherapy, laser treatment or UV light therapy. Consultation of a dermatologist will be the best in your case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.