Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

abscess

my boyfriend has developed an abscess in his armpitt.the doctor cut it opened and gave him antibiotics.few days later he developed one in his groin area and another one on his head.it seems they groing everywhere.i also developed two little ones on my face.what can this be from?, help.

This discussion is related to Underarm abscesses.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
How are you? A boil, also referred to as a skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. When it "forms a head," then it can be surgically opened or spontaneously drained out through the surface of the skin.

One type is the Hidradenitis suppurativa. This is a condition in which there are multiple abscesses that form under the armpits and often in the groin area. These areas are a result of local inflammation of the sweat glands. This form of skin infection is difficult to treat with antibiotics alone and typically requires a surgical procedure to remove the involved sweat glands in order to stop the skin inflammation.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions