allergic reaction or something else?

I hope someone out there can help?  A couple of days ago I noticed that I got a red rash all over my face.  It appeared very suddenly.  It looks like tiny red bumps all over my cheeks, forehead, temple area etc.  Then I looked down and saw it was all over my chest, back, and thighs.  By the next morning it was covering all of my legs and had spread to my arms as well.  I also noticed that one of my glands behind my left ear is swollen.  Overall I feel ok, just very itchy!  And it's been about three days and it hasn't gone away.  I can't think of anything I've eaten differently and I haven't switched soaps, cleaning agents etc. that would cause an allergic reaction.  Does anyone know what this may be?  I appreciate the help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

How are you? If you do not have a history of allergy, this could be an infection caused by a virus or bacteria. In particular, Rubella or  German measles  is an infection that primarily affects the skin and lymph nodes. It is caused by the rubella virus, which is usually transmitted by droplets from the nose or throat that others breathe in. Rubella infection may begin with 1 or 2 days of mild fever and swollen, tender lymph nodes, usually in the back of the neck or behind the ears. A rash then appears that begins on the face and spreads downward. As it spreads down the body, it usually clears on the face. The rubella rash can look like many other viral rashes. It appears as either pink or light red spots, which may merge to form evenly colored patches. The rash can itch and lasts up to 3 days. As the rash clears, the affected skin occasionally sheds in very fine flakes. Other symptoms of rubella, may include: headache; loss of appetite; mild conjunctivitis (inflammation of the lining of the eyelids and eyeballs); a stuffy or runny nose; swollen lymph nodes in other parts of the body; and pain and swelling in the joints.

Treatment is usually symptomatic. Drink plenty of fluids and rest. This will resolve after a few days. If it persists, it would be best to have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Take care and do update us.  
Helpful - 0
Just from looking up my symptoms online I did suspect Rubella.  And I did have a bit of a cold/sore throat/low grade temp last week.  But here's another question.  When I looked up pictures of rubella rashes online, it didn't exactly look like mine.  It was similar, but those pictures looked like the patients were much more red (especially in the face) then I am.  I have tiny red bumps, but they don't all blend together to make me look red all over.  If I did have an allergic reaction to something then 1. would the rash last this long (4 days now)? and 2. would lymph nodes be involved in an allergic reaction, or is that a sure sign of some kind of infectious rash?  Thanks again!
Helpful - 0
I also forgot to mention that not only did I have my MMR vaccine when I was a child, but I also updated it in 2002.  Shouldn't that mean I would have been immune against Rubella?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community