Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

can i prevent moles from growing?

My mother and grandmother developed over 100 large moles mostly on the torso, front and back as they got older. I can tell that I’m starting now too. So far, mine are  still teeny tiny- like little red raised poppy seeds. I have about 14 of them in different stages of flatness; most are barely noticible so far and but I know from theirs that they will grow to be huge brown and irregular and I’ll get dozens and dozens more. Is there any way to nip this in the bud? None of theirs was ever cancerous as far as I know. It does not seem to have been sun related as my mother never sat out in the sun past childhood and I’m assuming its 100% genetic. input on options or those with similar situations welcome.
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
There are many procedures of mole removal like by shave or deep elliptical excision, excision with cauterization (a tool is used to burn away the mole) and laser removal. Your dermatologist may choose excision with or without stitches, depending on the depth of the mole and the type of cosmetic outcome desired.
However there is no method as such to prevent the moles from growing.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions