Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

cant get rid of boils in the groin area

what kind of doctor should i see for boils that keep coming back.i cant get a hip replacement because of them.my blood work comes back abnormal from the infection in the boils.doctors say live with the boils. other doctors say go to a specialist. please help me .  
7 Responses
Avatar universal

How are you? A boil, also referred to as a skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin. It starts as a reddened, tender area that becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. There are several different types of boils depending on the location: furuncle, carbuncle, cystic acne, hidradenitis suppurativa, or pilonidal cyst. Boils could be due to an ingrown hair, breaks in the skin infected with bacteria, foreign material that has become lodged in the skin, or plugged sweat glands that become infected. People with certain illnesses such as
diabetes or kidney failure and taking medications impair the body's immune system are more likely to develop boils.

Heat application, usually with hot soaks or hot packs may help. As long as the boil is small and firm, opening the area and draining the boil is not helpful. Once the boil becomes soft or "forms a head", it can be ready to drain. Antibiotics are often used to eliminate the accompanying bacterial infection. The regular use of antibacterial soaps can help to prevent bacteria from building up on the skin. It would be best to have this evaluated further by your doctor to rule out existing conditions such as diabetes that may be causing reinfection.

Take care and regards.
Avatar universal
i keep going to the doctor for this but they tell me to go to a specialist but i dont know where to go every doctor ive been to can't figure it out i am on antibiotics already and i cant find relief i need a hip replacement very soon or i might not be able to walk. i cant get my new hip because of abnormal blood work because of the boils please help me
Avatar universal
oh yeah and im not diabetic
Avatar universal
You'll need to go to a dermatologist in order for them to lance it off/remove it. Boils are deep in the tissue so popping it would be useless and you could wind up spreading it or getting it further infected. A dermatologist is your best bet because they'll know what to do. Good luck.
Avatar universal
I had a Total Left Hip replacement 10 weeks ago, I have developed must in the past few days a very PAINFUL Boil on my left butt cheek, should I be concerned about any infection spreading into my new hip?
Avatar universal
I had a TLHR on July 9th, 2012, I have alot of pain in my thigh, My Dr. told me today that I have soft tissue damage.  I at that time did not think I needed to tell him about the large painful boil on my left butt cheek, but now I am getting a little concerned, can this cause infection in my new hip? I have gotten Boils in the butt & groin area in the past, so I am not sure if I should be concerned or not??? Please let me know if this is something I should call and let my OS know.  Thanks!
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions