Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.8k Members

chronic rash?

I have been battling a rash for about 3 years now.  It comes in spurts that last for months then it clears up for a while.  It starts on my back and spreads to my shoulders, neck, and my chest.  It starts as small papules and itch profusely, then they look like small blisters.  I went to one dermatologist and he thought it looked like a drug reaction, I changed my medications, took steroids and an antibiotic for secondary infection, It seemed to clear a little then came back.  Had allergy testing, found out I was allergic to dairy, I completely cut out all dairy, no change. Tested for lupus and syphillis, negative.  1 year ago my physician tried me on ketoconazole because I had what appeared to be a yeast infection under my breast, then the rash started all over again.  It worked, it completely cleared it up in two weeks, Its back again!  Now I have not been feeling well lately, nausea all the time, abdominal discomfort, night sweats, I get lightheaded at work alot and my heartrate just jumps in the 120s out of nowhere.  I have checked my blood sugar at work here and there when I get these flashes but it is always within normal limits.  The only history I have besides the rash is asthma.  I am a 33 years old female and weigh 165 at 5'4".  I am an emergency room nurse so I am around alot of nasty stuff. I do have a lump near my collarbone, it's peasize and it moves.  The last time my doctor checked it he said not to worry about it.  What do you think.  I am young...Why am I getting these horrible rashes?  
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi

The rash responded to the antifungals given you, is this correct?

This may be a case of dermatitis or an allergic reaction to unknown triggers. Rash may also be sometimes due to stress and other environmental factors. Have you been under a lot of stress lately?

You have mentioned of abdominal discomfort and tachycardia. I suggest that you have your blood pressure assessed. An EKG and 2DEcho will be able to help rule out a cardiac involvement. A complete physical examination is necessary. Let us not treat the rash as a separate entity. It may be associated with the other symptoms you have been experiencing lately.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions