daughters skin infection

19 year old daughter had several cold sores a few years ago, came back severe last year. Went on suppression medicine. Also had a couple impetigo outbreaks along the way. Last six months impetigo has been virtually un controllable around her mouth, nose etc. She is now on her third anti-biotic for impetigo. Have been to two dermatologists, general md. and infectious disease specialist in Boston. We have tried vinegar wraps, anti-bacterial soaps, prescription topical creams. Poor kid is miserable from condition and bad looking face....Please Help
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

I must have misunderstood your first post. I mentioned immunosuppression when you only meant suppression. Valtrex is an antiviral and not an immunosupressant.So this may not really affect treatment given for the impetigo.

Is your child on any other medications? Does she have asthma or allergies which need to be maintained on prednisone or other corticosteroids?

Is she under a lot of stress lately given that she is away from home and in college?

Is she getting enough sleep and eating well? No special diets or preference to certain food?

Psychological factors and stress may contribute to the development and progression of certain skin conditions. It is important to address this as well. Getting enough sleep , good diet with lots of fluids, vitamin supplements like vitamin C may be good adjuncts to medical treatment.At this point, antimicrobial therapy is still the mainstay of treatment for impetigo.Continue to discuss this with your child's physicians.Impetigo may be recurrent due the colonization of the nasal area by the organisms.A decrease in immune resistance may cause outbreaks now and then.

Also, you may ask your daughter's physician about the antiviral medications.I feel that 3 months is too long for treating cold sores using an antiviral.Do please look into this.
Helpful - 0
I feel so bad for her.  She is so young to be dealing with this issue.
Helpful - 0
Thank You for your help. She is on Valtrex to suppress cold sores. Md. said that she should be on it for 3 months or so. It has been successful so far. (one month )                                                     Should we ask Md. to take her off Valtrex so she can fight the infection? We think that she had a cold sore and when it was open she contracted infection. She is first year student in college living there. We were very concerned about Staph. She has tested negative for it.Thanks so much....Dave
Helpful - 0

Is your daughter still on immunosuppressive medications?

What was the indication for the immunosuppressants?

The medications may increase the risk for infections .Certain organisms that may otherwise normally colonize the body may turn opportunistic and cause infection. Minor cuts and irritation in the skin may encourage the spread of these organisms readily in the state of a suppressed immune system. Wound healing may also be affected.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community