Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

dry skin spots upper body


for a long time i had skin problems, but mostly on my scalp, like strong flakes, some attached hard to my scalp and some even bleed a little when i remove them with my nails. and about 2 years ago i started getting this dry areas on my body to the point where i have a lot covered now. but for some reason its only from my belly up.

when i take showers i can not rub the dry skin parts hard because after the shower it would itch like crazy. so i just use soap over it but no cloths to rub it.

i have not checked with a dermatologist, but i wanted to get an opinion since i got access to websites all day.

im attaching a picture so you can see the problem.

hope you can help me.

best regards


5 Responses
Avatar universal

You should avoid sun exposure and use a medicated sunscreen whenever you go out.

You could take some oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications like loratadine or cetrizine and see if it helps with your symptoms. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

Have you had allergic reactions in the past? Are you allergic to any specific substances?

You would still need to consult your doctor about the associated symptoms you are having and to rule out a bacterial or fungal infection and whether you need a course of antibiotics or other medications.

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Avatar universal
well i might also need a new medical exam, because for a long time when i get asked about alleriges i always i dont have any because i dont remember anything happening to me. like with food, i dont sneeze a lot (have friends who have this kind of alergies, that every morning waking up they sneeze for like 20 minutes) i have had dogs and cats in the past so no alleriges there. but maybe its something related.  for a while i tought it was psiorosis but i will wait for a dermatologist to tell me what's going on and i will post here.

sorry for the messed up english but its my second language and still learning.

Avatar universal

It could definitely help to see a specialist for your symptoms.

Have you tried oral antihistamine or antiallergic medications? Have they helped with your symptoms?

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions to help soothe the itching.

Let us know about how you are doing and post us about what your doctor advises.

Post us if you have any other doubts.

Avatar universal
i finally went

and he said it's Tinea Versicolor.
supposedly we all have it but for some reason it developed more on me because i was in a more humid enviroment before. he gave me selsun 2.5% shampoo treatment plus 2 pills (fluconazole). lets see how it turns out.

thanks guys
Avatar universal

Glad to know that you finally have consulted your doctor and have a diagnosis at hand and are following the advised management plan.

Do keep us posted about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Follow up with your doctor about the symptomatic improvement in your case.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions