furuncle that won't go away-even with antibiotics

I've had this boil/furuncle for well over a year now, reaching two probably.  It is in the front, pubic hair area, dead center.  It is a hard lump still.  I don't know why all the antibiotics didn't help.  The first time it went away and was soft, but this one that is left is very hard and itches at times still.  It started in one spot and it popped and went away, but then it migrated to where it is now, but this one won't go away.  I've been to the doctor quite a few times already, but am getting nowhere with them except more tests and run arounds and referrals elsewhere.

I was prescribed I believe it was cephalexin (antibiotic) first.  That didn't work, then the cream mupirocin.  Than maybe a stronger antibiotic?  All in all, I believe it was three medications.

One of the doctors then said I could either just leave it there or get it lanced depending on how it bothered me.  He said lancing would cause scars.  I was confused about the just leaving it there part because then couldn't it spread?  I don't see how leaving it there could be good?  And whenever I go to another place, they want to give me the same EXACT tests, even though I told them what it was and that it was already tested.  And I don't know if this boil cause other small pimple like things.  I forgot what the doctor said they were but it was freezed off, but they keep going elsewhere and don't go away.
Since this furuncle or abscess has been present for quite some time, I would suggest you to get an incision and drainage done for the same. After incision and drainage you need to have a course of antibiotics and regular dressings done with topical antibiotics till the wound heals.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.