genital warts

Hi I have just discovered that I have warts around my anus, i have read on the internet that tea tree oil clears warts, is this true or is it a sales ploy from herbalists? I also have a small red spot on the tip of my penis, could this also be a wart, it's flat and looks like a sore, it also is a bit sore and itchy at the same time, should I be worried about this and would tea tree oil be ok to use on it, i am too imbarrassed to go to my GP.  Thanks

This discussion is related to Genital Warts and Coommon warts question..

You should not be embarrassed at all about consulting your doctor.

'Genital warts may disappear without treatment, but sometimes eventually develop a fleshy, small raised growth. There is no way to predict whether they will grow or disappear.

Depending on the size and location of the wart, and other factors, a doctor will offer one of several ways to treat them.

* Imiquimod (Aldara) a topical immune response cream, applied to the affected area
    * A 20% podophyllin anti-mitotic solution, applied to the affected area and later washed off
    * A 0.5% podofilox solution, applied to the affected area but not to be washed off
    * A 5% 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) cream
    * Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)
    * Pulsed dye laser
    * Liquid nitrogen cryosurgery
    * Electric or laser cauterization
    * Condylox

Podophyllin and podofilox should not be used during pregnancy, as they are absorbed by the skin and could cause birth defects in the fetus. 5-fluorouracil cream should not be used while trying to become pregnant or if the person taking the medication could be pregnant.

Small warts can be removed by freezing (cryosurgery), burning (electrocautery), or laser treatment. Surgery is occasionally used to remove large warts that have not responded to other treatment.'

You could read more about the condition at the following link-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genital_wart

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.