I have PCOS and suffer from severe hirsutism on the upper lip and chin.  I frequently get ingrown hairs on the corner of lip area and chin which create little pimples.  I am currently taking benzaclin and erythromycin gel at night and Evoclin foam in the day. I also tweeze and wax the hairs.  I was wondering if tretinoin cream would help prevent ingrown hairs due to increased epithelial cell turnover?
I know laser treatment would be most beneficial but cannot afford it at the moment. What can I do in the meantime to help prevent ingrown hair and pimples in the hair follicle?  I also was prescribed spironolactone for the hirsitism to block the androgen receptors but I dont want to disturb K levels and get hyperkalemia.  Should I worry about K levels or if a low dose is prescribed it wouldnt be a problem?
Also I have alopecia in the eyelash region of my left eye and was told the treatment was steroid injections in the eyelid but that would cause cataracts..I am currently in my 3rd year of medical school and I was wondering why that would be a side effect.  I know its not an osmotic agent so what is the mechanism? also I  would like to know if there are any other treatments for the alopecia of the eyelashes.

Thank You Doctor!

Hirsutism in PCOS is thought to be mostly due to excessive levels of androgenic hormones. Temporary hair removal can be achieved through depilation or epilation. Drugs like androgen receptor blockers, androgen suppressing agents and 5 alpha reductase inhibitors are also used. Permanent means of hair removal by electrolysis and laser treatment are also useful. I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist and discuss all the pros and cons of these methods so that the best treatment for you can be decided.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Doctor,
I was wondering what the mechanism is regarding cataracts after steroid injections in the eyelid is administered in the treatment of alopecia of the eyelashes..
My alopecia of the eyelash is on my left lash in one uppper eyelid only. It also happened in 2001 and grew back and now happened again (Im guessing due to med school) so would you say that there is a chance it will grow back again without treatment?
Thanks again doctor Kaur,
Daisy
What do you think about the idea that if you increase cell turnover (with retin A, tretinoin) and exfoliate with special face washes, can that help prevent ingrown hairs. I don't have acne on areas on my face with no hair growth. The places I get acne is due to ingrown hairs mostly.