itch and sores on lips

i have history of eczema. it started off as itch and burning sensation on the sides of lips. now the sides of my lips often chapped and lead to open sores. chapstick doesn't work. i tried applying betnovate once and it helps. wonder if it is eczema and if yes, what is the recommended medication.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Whether this is eczema or not cannot be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
Thank you for your kind comment.
My situation has improves a lot. The lesions has closed up. It might due to the lip balm I'm currently using which have jojoba oil and Vit. E with SPF 30. I realise applying the lip balm at night makes a different. I'm taking Multivitamins with broad range of VIt. B as well.

I also realize spicy food especially if it contains pepper instantly inflamed the lips (red, swollen and itch).Shall also take note of other food substance.

Glad to know that the post was of some help to you.

It is nice of you to write back and keep us posted.

Do let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Regards.
Would like to know how long does it take to heal completely. My condition is under control now but still cracks occasionally. Still on multivitamins and using the same lip balm.

Dead skin on my lips are peeling off everyday. Hope that is a positive sign.
I forgot to mentioned that my brother seems to have the same condition. He too has eczema history. His condition has been lingering for many years now.
Shall i start using antifungal medication like miconazole or perhaps you can recommend some. TQ.