Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

itchy skin!

my mother was recently told she has an allergy too cooking oils/fats. i am wondering what that type of allergy is and where i can find the information?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
What your mother seems to be having is cooking oil food allergy. Vegetable oil is usually a blend of oils. The refining process removes proteins from the oil. Since it's the proteins in oils that can cause allergic reactions, sensitive people probably won't react to refined oils. Some speciality oils, such as sesame and walnut, aren't refined and can cause allergies.

I suggest you to consult an allergist for your mother and get food challenge test done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions