Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

itchy skin

My skin itches.  There is no flaking, redness, rash etc. I constantly feel like my skin is crawling.   I take supplements…Vit E. Omega fish oil (reputable brand),  B vit., female herbal combination.  I hike 6 mi daily. I feel I am in excellent health for a woman 54 years old. I stopped taking all my supplements for 3 months and the itching did not stop.  I have rubbed oil on my skin, lotions, changed my laundry soap and nothing helps.  I am going crazy! Please Help!  
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

Itching and crawling sensations are two different entities which have two different differentials.If you are having itching,then it can be due to atopic dermatitis(eczema),xerosis or dry skin, psoriasis,dermatitis, scabies,internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders,diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods.

Crawling sensations are due to parasthesias which are usually due to diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis,underactive thyroid or parathyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body, a lack of vitamin B12,peripheral vascular disease or neuropathies.

I feel that an evaluation by a dermatologist and neurologist will be the best to differentiate whether it is itchy skin or parasthesias.Treatment is entirel different for all.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you had any other queries.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions