Avatar universal

"keratosis pilaris"

Ever since I was born my legs, stomach, and part of my arms have had little bumps looking like goose bumps.My mom has them too and she has never gotten rid of them.I am also allergic to most lotions.We thought it was because of fragrance but even lotions without fragrance irritates my skin.So I can't use most lotions like everyone else has told me to try.I was to get rid of them sooo bad because I am still young and I don't want to go in front of my friends in shorts in the summer with bumps all over.I have looked on the internet and it sounds like I have something called "keratosis pilaris".But I'm not sure.Please give me some ideas.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
563773 tn?1374246539
It can be due to keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. There is currently no known cure for keratosis pilaris, however, there are effective treatments available which make its symptoms less apparent. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Helpful - 0
363110 tn?1340920419
Hi! Keratosis Pilaris is a genetic disorder, so it definitely sounds like a possibility since your mother has similar symptoms also.  Check with your doctor to be sure this is what you have though.

Basically as I'm sure you've read it is where skin builds up at the hair follicles and gives a "chicken skin" type of appearance.


there's a link for you that you can read with some types of treatments, but one type in particular that may help is Cetaphil,

Check out Cetaphil cleanser which is a gentle soap free cleaner that may help keep your skin from being too dry.
there's also a Cetaphil lotion you can use. It's great for ppl who break out easily and are allergic to most lotions. it's expensive to buy over the counter but sometimes dermatologists carry samples that you can use to see if you'll break out.  there are also alot of other

You can also contact specific companies or go onto their websites for coupons and discounts and sometimes samples which can help for those lotions and cleansers that are expensive.  

here's another link as well, apparently there are MANY treatments but you need to find one that you can use continuously for it to work for any amt of time.


I have a rare skin condition that affects me head to toe called EHK or also CIE (same meanings just different naming) and it's very obvious, like I have a peeling sunburn all over so I know how it feels to be embarrassed to have friends see you in shorts.

Good luck and make sure to check with your doctor about a definite diagnoses before trying anything other than OTC lotions/cleansers.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions