Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal

lump on forearm


I've had a lump on my forearm between my elbow and wrist for over a year now. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and when I first got it my intern doct. told me not to worry about it. It seems to be able to be moved around and looks horrible. What type of doctor should I go see about it? I think I would like it removed. Who should I call.

2 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Well, to remove it you would need surgery. Hence call a surgeon. The  lump is most likely a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in a nerve) or a lipoma (localized collection of fat). It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have the same thing and my Dr said the same thing. He said it was fluid but moved around easily and was not painful, so dont worry. I dont know of anyone who would like to walk around with this large swelling on their arm. It looks ugly. However I have seen much older women with them on both wrists and ankles. Please let me know what kind of Dr. you get to remove it.
Avatar universal
I want to have it checked out first before consulting a surgeon. Should I call a dermatologist, orthopedic or just go straight to the surgeon. I thought they would want it checked first by a "doctor".

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions