Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

nighttime itching/burning lower legs

For the last two years have had dry itchy skin mainly in the winter but don't have much problems in the summer as I wear lighter clothing mainly skirts. But in the winter when I start to wear long trousers I get a burning/itching on my lower legs at night which keeps me awake. This doesn't trouble me during the day. I wash my legs at night with a soapless type cleanser and then apply either hydrocortisone cream or elecon.  It wakes me up when I get warm in bed and find some relief when putting my legs outside of my bed clothes in the cold. It is driving me nuts. What can I do next? I have been diagnosed  with atopic dermatitis but I only seem to have problems in the winter. Can you help?
1 Responses
Too much of steroid on the skin can lead to atrophy,and then rebound itching known as tachyphylaxis.Best apply only oily calamine and cap benedryl 1 at betime for about a week.You may feel sleepy and best not to drive.Hope you will be fine.Do consult your doc.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions