nighttime itching/burning lower legs

For the last two years have had dry itchy skin mainly in the winter but don't have much problems in the summer as I wear lighter clothing mainly skirts. But in the winter when I start to wear long trousers I get a burning/itching on my lower legs at night which keeps me awake. This doesn't trouble me during the day. I wash my legs at night with a soapless type cleanser and then apply either hydrocortisone cream or elecon.  It wakes me up when I get warm in bed and find some relief when putting my legs outside of my bed clothes in the cold. It is driving me nuts. What can I do next? I have been diagnosed  with atopic dermatitis but I only seem to have problems in the winter. Can you help?
Too much of steroid on the skin can lead to atrophy,and then rebound itching known as tachyphylaxis.Best apply only oily calamine and cap benedryl 1 at betime for about a week.You may feel sleepy and best not to drive.Hope you will be fine.Do consult your doc.