Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

pilonidal abscess

hi im sukumar, past one and half years im affecting in pilonidal abscess problem, already last year i did one surgery, but still it is not recover,  
one general surgen suggested to plastic surgery treatment is better to recover...... but im not beleive still searching for better treatment method for pilonidal abess

can u please any one suggess?

can i do one more surgery or any alternate method is available..........i

my number is 919840353076.. please suggest..

regards,
sukumar (age 25)
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
For recurrent pilonidal cysts, factors like hormones, friction and infection are equally important. In your case, either it was more than one pilonidal sinus leading to chronic pilonidal disease or it was due to reinfection in neighbouring hair follicles or chronic infection from entry of hair or debris into a postoperative wound leading to complex or recurrent pilonidal disease.

Surgical management of chronic and recurrent disease is controversial. Numerous studies have been put forward advocating one treatment over another but none has been proved better than the others. Presently, the various methods used are incision and drainage, excision and healing by secondary intention, excision and primary closure  and excision with reconstructive flap techniques. Please discuss these options with your doctor.

Hygiene, proper dressings after surgery and depilation is the only ways to prevent recurrent pilonidal sinus. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions