Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.5k Members

pink blotch/scar after cold sore -- infectious?

I had a cold sore nearly 2 months ago. During the healing time, the scar has been dark pink to lighter pink-beige. It is still noticeable and I need to cover it up everyday. It's both on my lip and right above it. It also has tiny bumps on a small part of it (on the border of my lip and the outside). It doesn't feel feverish or anything but I've been afraid to kiss since then. It's getting ridiculously long so I was wondering if maybe it's not infectious now. Thanks.

This discussion is related to Cold Sore Scar.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi

Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex type 1 infection. As a viral infection, unless this has totally healed you may still likely transmit the infection through direct skin to skin contact.  Wait for the sore to completely heal. Any cut on the surface of the skin may aid in transmitting the virus. This should resolve on its own. Getting enough rest, eating well, drinking plenty of water among other things will be able to help.

It is necessary to note though that HSV infection usually stays within the body .HSV infection especially type 2 may be shed by the body even after treatment.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions