A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.9k Members

poison ivy

hi

i have always been allergic to everything related to poison ivy, oak and sumac.  i am 31 years old and still get it even in the dead of winter.  i broke out extremely bad when i was about 13 or so.   ever since then i will break out on my face usually around my chin.  it popped up on my upper lip the other day.  i was wondering if it just lies dormant on my face and something causes it to break out.  i have done no yard work, havent' been around it nor has anyone been burning anything.  i just woke up and bam there it was.

i hope you have an answer for me.

thanks
nonnie2828
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,

Allergic reactions usually subside when the offending substance is removed. In your case, if there is no exposure to poison ivy, oak or sumac, this could be another condition. Are there other signs or symptoms present? This could be a form of irritation, dermatitis or eczema. In particular, perioral dermatitis presents with redness, small red bumps or pus bumps, and mild peeling in the chin,  nose, or  to the sides of the lips. Occasionally, the areas around the nose, eyes, and cheeks can be affected. Sometimes there is mild itching or burning. If not treated, perioral dermatitis may last for months to years. Even if treated, the condition may recur several times. The cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown.  Strong corticosteroid creams applied to the face can cause this condition while some types of makeup, moisturizers, and dental products may be partially responsible.  If it persists, it would be best to have this evaluated further by a dermatologist for proper management.

Take care and do keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions