red mark on my son?

Hi there, my son is 15 months old, he was born with a red mark on his belly...which is not a birthmark. it looks just like a big red blood blister kinda-Maybe the size of a quarter and raised off the skin a little. My doctor told me the name of it but i can not remember it. He said it could take 5 years to go away. Then at his 15 month check up he said it could now take up to 10 years and that it could possably never go away. He also said it can cause a problem but down the road then never said anything more about it. Said we will cross that bridge when we get there. Well i would like to know what this is? Can anyone please help me with what this is???
It can be a hemangioma or nevus de ota. A hemangioma is a congenital benign tumour or vascular malformation of endothelial cells (the cells that line blood vessels).Females are more prone to get it. In children they mostly regress by adulthood. Mostly they improve or regress completely with time, so there is no need for specific treatment in most cases. In some specific cases where treatment is require, the mode of treatment includes external compression therapy, topical steroids , topical antiseptics like Eosin, which also has antiangiogenic properties, high dose oral corticosteroids , propranolol, vascular laser therapy and medicines like vincristine and imiquimod .

I would suggest an examination by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.