Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
1325531 tn?1274822705

red spots on upper lip

I have two red marks that appeared after playing basketball in the heat today.  they are smooth and slightly raised, there are no blisters or bumps yet.  there is one on each ridge between my lips and nose.  They don't itch and they are not hot or irritating.  I did kiss a girl last weekend who had no signs of cold sores but I assume that's what these are. any thoughts? I have pictures but I do not see anywhere to upload them. - thanks.
5 Responses
363110 tn?1340924019
it could be due to the heat. Give it a day or so and see if they dissapear, and if they do you know it's related to the heat.
563773 tn?1374250139
From the symptoms it can be hives, sweat dermatitis or heat rash. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken.

If there is any blister which scabs over, then get cold sores ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

1325531 tn?1274822705
Thank you for the help. Currently I still have the exact same marks above my upper.  They still do not itch or tingle or burn.  There has been no blistering and bumps.

"If there is any blister which scabs over, then get cold sores ruled out."

does this mean because there is no blistering it still may be cold sores?
Also do you recommend that I go to a dermatologist or a general care physician?
563773 tn?1374250139
Cold sores is caused by HSV1. Pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down. You need to get some investigations like sample from the sores to identify the virus, culture analysis, Tzanck smear, antigen and antibody studies and blood sampling for antibody studies done to confirm the diagnosis. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Avatar universal
Hey did those spots ever go away?
I have the same thing
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions