Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

scar from mole removal

I had a mole removed over a year ago and since then have had 3 cortisone shots to reduce the appearance of the scar. After the third shot the scar finally flattened out but it is still of a red color. I am embarresed to take my shirt when I am around friends, especially girls! Is there anything I can do to lighten the scar?
1 Responses
Hi,
Infections and color changes in the skin are some of the most frequent outcomes of surgical methods for scar tissue removal.

Common methods to make it less visible include dermabrasion, chemical peels, laser skin resurfacing.
Dermabrasion, and chemical peels are for removing the top layers of ski and replacing it with fresh, new skin which lies below, so they may not be effective to remove scars at a particular site.

There are creams available which claim to lighten scars; one such is Vit E cream, which is said to speed up the healing process and also to lessen the appearance of the scar.
You can apply it on the scar area and see if it improves.
Your other option would be laser which allows for precise control of the treatment and would be a better option for you.

ref:http://www.dermatologychannel.net/cosmetic/scarremoval.shtml
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions