Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
Avatar universal


A month ago I noticed a raised dark bump on the back of my leg. Of course, I picked it it bled and scabbed.  Then I picked off the scab and was left with a white circle with red irritation around it.  One month later the redness was pretty much gone, but there was a dark brown dot in the middle of the white circle.  The bump was gone also.  Well, once again I picked it and removed the dot and now I am back to the start with a white circle and red irritation.  What was the brown dot?  Is it possible to pick off melanoma?  I have just been applying ointment to see how it heals.  My plan is to see if the brown dot appears and if so to go see the derm. ?  Could the brown spot been a part of the healing or scar?
1 Responses
Avatar universal

This does not look like a melanoma. this will heal normally in time. Hyperpigmentation Removal treatments are used to eradicate darkened areas of the skin which may result from hormones, sun damage, injuries, skin-type characteristics, medications and more.  Hyperpigmentation lesions can be anything from melasma/cholasma often attributed to pregnancy or hormonal imbalances to freckles.

The treatments vary from melanin blocking agents combined with topical medications such as Retin A which causes the body to exfoliate the skin to rid the body of the hyperpigmentation while prohibiting new melanin production to laser treatments.  The treatments wholly depend upon your needs and skin type.  

For standard non-hormone induced hyperpigmentations Hydroquinone usually reduces or removes hyperpigmentations very effectively. It is a bleaching agent. Also always use sunscreen/sunblock as dark areas on exposure to sunlight turn darker still. For some patients with severe hyperpigmentation,surgical and cosmetic intervention may help.

You can access more information on the foll. website

Wearing sunscreen and avoiding the use of abrasive cleansers and cosmetics for the face may help. Get enough sleep and eat a balanced diet everyday.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.


Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions