severe dry skin on face

I have 90% of my face covered in thick hard patched  of skin that bleed if picked.painful and hard to open mouth to eat.
Do NOT pick the skin.  This will make your skin more painful and sore   and will also allow bacteria to enter through the broken skin.

Apply non perfumed antimicrobial emollient to moisturise the skin. You can use this to wash with too.  Your doctor will be able to prescribe this for you, but do check with the pharmacist to see if you can purchase this without a prescription - it may be cheaper to purchase than a prescription.  The one moisturising antimicrobial solution that is safe to use on the face is   Dermol 400.  Your doctor may prescribe something different.

Your doctor may take a swab from the skin to see what is the cause.  
It may be that you are lacking in some vitamins and minerals, or have a skin disorder.  Your doctor will look at the skin and come to his decision of what the cause is or refer you to a dermatologist.

Keep away from the sun - use a large rimmed hat to protect the facial skin.  Use a moisturising, non perfumed cream to protect your skin, even when the weather is not sunny.  The skin can still get damaged by the cold winds.  Your doctor can also prescribe a strong factor sun block that is safe for use on the face.  

Never use normal soap, shower gels or any facial masks.
Eat a healthy and well balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.  Drink plenty of fluids and especially water.  
It may be that your body is lacking in essential vitamins and minerals.
There are a number of reasons for the condition of your facial skin, so you do need to see your doctor or a dermatologist to identify what exactly it is to be able to get the appropriate treatment.

Coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal and can also be used for cooking, baking, eating it as well as for cosmetic reasons.  Only use the Virgin Coconut oil.  If you do wish to try this, do so on a small area of skin to make sure that you do not have an allergy to it.  

Make an urgent appointment to see your doctor.

Let me know how you get on.
Best wishes.