skin itchy in the evening/lying in bed

For the past 6 months I have been plagued by really intense itching all over the body which prevents me from sleeping every night. It is really affecting my life now and driving me crazy. The itch feels like something is crawling on my skin. The itch can be anywhere from my eyes, face, groin, anus, soles of my feet, etc. I do notice that it tends to itch a little bit more in the lower half of my body. I noticed most of the time it happens in the evenings or when I am lying in my bed. I thought it might have been bedbugs or mites or something so I tried washing all my sheets, blankets, pillows. That didn't work so next I switched all the sheets, blankets, pillows, etc. Still was happening, so i switched mattresses with my father and its still itchy. He doesn't seem to have any problems with my old mattress and blankets, and sheets. I also don't really see any rashes on my body. I went to my family doctor
and he prescribed antihistamine and hydroxyzine, and reactine. None of that stuff worked. I also switched from soap to body wash and then dove hypo allergic soap  thinking it could have dry skin and also tried to put lotion all over my body right before I went to bed or after showing but that didn't solve the itch.

My family doctor sent me to an allergerist and she did a allergy test on my skin where she pricked it with a needle or something then put drops of chemicals on my skin. The results well negative except one thing, I forgot what it was but she suggested that it may have been positive due to me taking those medication the night before seeing her. She told me to take a blood test which I did and she said she would call if anything was wrong with my test results and also if I want to go see her again in 2mths time, that was back in february, I have an appointment with her again this august.

I have also been to a dermatologist and they gave me reactine, tiamol/comphor/menthol cream but none of that stuff works. I also did another blood test for them. They said the results looked fine. They couldn't figure out why it was itchy either. They suggested I do light theraphy, so I am in the process of trying to do that.

This is really frustrating and driving me crazy. Please help!
Anyone?
This is incredible--I've been plagued by extremely itchy skin in the evenings and at bedtime--sometimes it keeps me awake. It's gone on about two months now and tonight I finally decided to get on the net and see if there was anything out there that could help me figure out what it is and what to do.

Mine can be anywhere--legs, arms, back, feet, under my arms, or under my breasts. A few weeks ago, I bought Eucerin skin lotion with a calming, anti-itch ingrediant (menthol, I think). It is somewhat helpful--I'll buy it again but really want to get to the bottom of this.

It's funny, because I'll go all day without being bothered in any big way but at night it drives me nuts with all the itchiness.

The other thing that is going on is that the top layer of skin on my hands and wrists is beginning to seem like its really fragile--sometimes it seems as though the top layer will just rub off.

Don't know what's going on but I think I'lll start trying to get some help for it.

Margie
re: skin ***** tests.  I have read these are ineffective if antihistamines have been taken up to 6 WEEKS prior to the skin ***** test.  So your allergy to bed mites would be masked by the antihistamines.  

Bed mites live in the mattress itself-so-swapping beds with your father wouldn't help unless his mattress is covered in a bug-proof covering. You can get these quite cheaply and they zip up over your mattress and are used for people allergic to bed bites.  I would recommend you try this as well as pillow protectors and see if it helps.  

Don't forget once you've got the mattress protector to wash your linen at 60 degrees and try to air it in the sunshine if possible.
Bed Bug bites leave marks on the skin right? I don't see any bite marks on my skin though. Its been plaguing me for 1.5 yrs now and its driving me crazy. Lots of days extremely sleepy especially when I have 8am classes at school.
i am havin the same exact symptoms, down to even the placement.. my legs an lower body area are the worst.. and is now moving up my back and stomach.. non stop itching during the night.. i have had this for almlst two months now.. the bumps are so irritating i have scratched lil scabs on them.. do you have atleast have a reasonable concluion now? (i have thought of the cat i recently got and much, much more...)or some helpful tips, anything would greatly appreciated..
Nope still no conclusion yet. I have changed my mattress and still nothing.
I feel your pain wolf30. I am having same annoying issues.
Its been awhile after your first post. Has your problem been diagonised? Any improvements?

My extensive web research and my recent blood test result (lacking vitamin b12) for now has lead me to stoop towards vitamin B12 deficiency. Extreme like liver damage could also result in itchness, esp. at night.
I m hoping vitamin b12 is the cause and taking its supplements will relief me from this seemingly minor complaint (to non sufferrers).
I get all of these symptoms too, i also, after a while start to get angry with my self for being so itchy and get extremely irritable. its usually in bed and i start throwing my arms and legs around in a paddy like way. does this happen to anyone else?
I suffer the same... but appetroom...? yours sounds like scabies
wow! i cant believe my eyes when i was reading your post. I have the exact same symptoms. when i go to bed i dont have problems going to sleep, but a few hours later around midnight or early morning, i would wake up scratching my armpits, arms, calves and feet. sometimes i feel that there's something moving! problem is i cant see anything around the bed and my wife doesnt seem to have the same symptoms i'm having.

this is driving me nuts!
I have the same stuff happening but it only happens to me very periodically, unlike every night. Don't use fabric softener if you. Hate this crap.
my husband has the same issue, gets really itchy only at night and in the mornings when he wakes. He did a skin allergy test and was diagnosed to be very allergic to dust mites.
On top of that, a well known dermatologist also diagnosed him to havepityriasis lichenoides chronica. There's no cure to that, it gets worse with baths due to the water 'hardness'.