small flesh colored bumps on penis

Hi Dr.,
I have recently gone to my doctor for a couple small cuts on the shaft of my penis.  The doctor looked at it and gave me Hydrocortizone 2.5%  At first it seemed to work great but latley I noticed some redness and small flesh colored bumps in the same area I was using the cream.  The bumps do not itch or burn, in fact I would not know they are there unless I felt them.  I called my doctor and he suggested I see a dermatoligist.  Should I be concerned??

This discussion is related to dry skin on penis.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
From your symptoms it looks like you are having sebaceous hyperplasia or Fordyce spots. They are small, painless, raised, spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the penis. The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland, and are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They are non-infectious and a natural occurrence on the body.

They should be got removed only for cosmetic reasons as they are normally found on the penis. The other possibility is of genital warts or skin tags. In my opinion, you should get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community