suddenly oily hair that won't correct

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.

Question to the Dr.  

Could this be overactive sebaceous glands?  I have had sebaceous cysts in the past.  Could excessive sweating cause this to happen.  Sweating dries out the skin, therefore causing the glands to produce more oil to compensate for the loss?  When your stressed, you sweat.  During menopause, you sweat.  In the summer, you sweat.  If your febrile, you sweat.

I am a 38 year old female and also started experiencing a heavy oily area around the crown of my head about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I asked my Dr. and  he acted as if I was crazy.  He suggested I use Neutrogena shampoo once a week, which I started yesterday.  To add to the other comments....I am extremely stressed (thought that was it).  I am going through peri-menopause.  I have not changed shampoos in 15 years (I alternate head and shoulders and Pantene).  I have never had any problems with oily skin or oily hair ever.  I wash my hair daily and condition.  I have not changed my daily regimen in 2 years

One thing I have tried was applied Shower to Shower powder to my hair before going to bed and washed out in the morning (not the sexiest looking thing at night but it helps).  It drastically reduced the oil, but came back 2 days later.  The only thing I worry about is clogging the glands that are producing the oil, so I don't do it daily...maybe once a week.  I will try the Irish Spring soap, that will not clog the glands...just dry out the hair.  Another suggestion I haven't tried was go to a good hair dresser who has shampoos that change the PH balance of your hair (If this goes on another month I will try this.  It's kinda drastic.)

I have had the exact same thing everyone is describing for about a week now, my hair was progressively getting nastier and nastier. I decided yesterday to scrub my hair really good with 2 different shampoos and rinse really, really, really good. When I got out of the shower my hair was 10 times worse than before. I figured that if my scalp was producing excess oil for some reason I was going to give it a reason to stop! I re-wet my hair and loaded a TON of conditioner into my hair, making sure I really got it on the gross spots and then I combed it through my hair in a whole bunch of directions to make sure it got everywhere. I put saran wrap on my head and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then I rinsed really good, no shamoo or anything else though. I swear to God my hair is totally back to normal!!! That was yesterday, this morning I washed my hair with baby shampoo and conditioned it again, putting in a regular amount but making sure to get the crown of my head which is an area I normally avoid because my hair is so fine. It is over 12 hours later and my hair does not have a bit of waxy or greasy feeling to it! I know this sounds totally counter intuitive, but at least give it a try, you've got nothing to lose except icky hair!!!! Let me know if this works!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much to the lady who advise of using the Sauve shampoo and the Listerine  it worked . I am very thankful I forund this web site I only had the problem for 2 days when I found this . I was wondering how she came up with this soulition? Did she just hit on it or did someone tell her about. I came home that night and wash my hair with the Sauve Clairfying Shampoo  twice and rinsed really good . I took 4 cap fulls of the Listerine and poured it all over the crown area of my head and let it set for 3 full minutes and rinsed really good. I could tell as soon as I towled dried my hair it was 90% better and the next day I repeated the same process.It has worked !!!!  I have waited 2 days without shampooing and it is still ok.
youlandah
This happened to me starting the day before Thanksgiving. Nothing I did was solving the problem, then I found this board.

I tried the Suave/Listerine treatment and while it cut the waxiness somewhat, it did not solve the problem.

I then switched to Palmolive, which really helped cut the existing wax but wasn't curing the problem. Finally I got an anti-fungal shampoo called Nixoral. I shampoo each day with Palmolive followed by another washing with the Nixoral. Each day the waxiness goes away a little more and (so far) it feels like my scalp is not producing the waxy sebum anymore either.

I'm going to keep the treatment up for another week or two and I'll post back with the results, but the Palmolive/Nixoral combination has been the most successful treatment for me so far. It also means the cause was likely a fungal infection or yeast infection of the scalp.
After a couple of weeks of using the Suave/Nizoral shampoo combo, I was able to swtich back to my normal products (Pantene) and my hair is back to normal. I've been using Pantene shampoo and conditioner for about 3 weeks now with no recurrance of the waxy residue.
I am so glad I googled this! I've had this for about a week now and I've been trying to wash my hair with different amounts of shampoo and conditioner but nothing has happened. I am going out today to buy the Suave shampoo and listerine! I will post back how it goes in a couple of days. I think this must be a result of hormonal imbalance...I just went onto the pill after a long break so that must be it! I thought it might be because I tried putting some talc in my hair but as other people seem to have had other hormonal changes when getting this condition, it's more likely to be that!
Okay, I couldn't get hold of the Suave Clarifying Shampoo as it's American and I'm from the UK but I got the Neutrogena shampoo for greasy hair and it's worked! When I couldn't find the Suave shampoo I tried the Listerine with my normal shampoo and that didn't work so make sure you get the Suave or Neutrogena!

Thanks so much for telling us Suave & Listerine girls! I'm so glad it worked!!

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community