suddenly oily hair that won't correct

This discussion is related to suddenly oily hair that won't correct.

Question to the Dr.  

Could this be overactive sebaceous glands?  I have had sebaceous cysts in the past.  Could excessive sweating cause this to happen.  Sweating dries out the skin, therefore causing the glands to produce more oil to compensate for the loss?  When your stressed, you sweat.  During menopause, you sweat.  In the summer, you sweat.  If your febrile, you sweat.

I am a 38 year old female and also started experiencing a heavy oily area around the crown of my head about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  I asked my Dr. and  he acted as if I was crazy.  He suggested I use Neutrogena shampoo once a week, which I started yesterday.  To add to the other comments....I am extremely stressed (thought that was it).  I am going through peri-menopause.  I have not changed shampoos in 15 years (I alternate head and shoulders and Pantene).  I have never had any problems with oily skin or oily hair ever.  I wash my hair daily and condition.  I have not changed my daily regimen in 2 years

One thing I have tried was applied Shower to Shower powder to my hair before going to bed and washed out in the morning (not the sexiest looking thing at night but it helps).  It drastically reduced the oil, but came back 2 days later.  The only thing I worry about is clogging the glands that are producing the oil, so I don't do it daily...maybe once a week.  I will try the Irish Spring soap, that will not clog the glands...just dry out the hair.  Another suggestion I haven't tried was go to a good hair dresser who has shampoos that change the PH balance of your hair (If this goes on another month I will try this.  It's kinda drastic.)

I had the same exact problem that happened to you all. Out of the blue and overnight my hair was very oily and greasy at the crown.  I have NEVER had oily hair.  I have always had dry skin and dry hair.  I am 39 years old and cannot think of anything different that I have changed in my lifestyle.  I have used Pantene shampoo for years.  
I washed my hair like usual, dried it like usual and saw that my hair at the top was all greasy. So, I jumped back in the shower thinking maybe I didn't wash out all of the shampoo.  I again dried my hair and it was still disgusting and greasy!  
I immediately jumped on the internet and googled this information.
I am so very glad that I found this forum!
ATTENTION TO ALL WHO HAVE THIS SUDDEN ONSET OF OILY HAIR:
THE LISTERINE AND SUAVE CLARIFYING SHAMPOO TRULY DOES WORK!!!
After whining to my husband about my nasty hair, he went to the store that same night and purchased the Suave Clarifying Shampoo and original Listerine (brown bottle).
After using it one time my hair was 90% back to normal.  I repeated the process (mentioned above) the next night and it is about 95% back to normal!!!
I hope it does not come back.  I am going to repeat this treatment tomorrow night to see if it gets back to 100%.  
I really would love to know why this happened and is happening to others. It is the strangest thing!
Thank you for putting your comments ups, 2yrs from when the first lady with this issue did.

I too woke up one morning 3 weeks ago with a random waxy oily patch on the crown of my head. My hair is normally fine and soft and the patch on my crown soon crept to my fringe. I was devastated because no  matter what shampoo or conditioner i used nothing worked. And after a shower my hair still looked like it had not been washed in months.

I live in NEW ZEALAND and i couldn't find the brown listerine and also am a young mum so couldn't afford Clarifying shampoo. I

I found THE CURE that worked for me and I hope will work for you. On a Saturday when at home for the day (today) I had some pure coconut oil in my bathroom so i figured my hair NEEDED SOFTENING. I put the coconut oil in my hair and left it for 2 hours, then I shampooed it out with Dove Shampoo for dry hair x2 (this is my normal supermarket hair product). Then I took my normal Dove Conditioner for dry hair and combed a large ammount of it through my hair and left it for 2-3 hours.

When i rinsed my hair the waxy,stiff oily patch of hair was gone and i had my beautiful soft hair back. Now I have a cure in case this happens again.

Hope it works for you too.

Tanz :)
I too have this problem. I have tried all kinds of shampoo and nothing works. A week and a half ago I used Dawn and it worked. But today its oily again. I'm going to try the listerine thing tonight. I HOPE its  a perm. fix. I just had to pull my hair back in a ponytail to hide the grease!! So embarrasing! What causes this??????
Okay, the same thing has happening to me two days ago
i literally woke up in morning and went to do my hair for school and it looked like it hadnt dried overnight or something (i got to my bed with my hair wet everynight) and so i went to blowdry it but nothing changed it just looked greasy and wet and it felt sticky, like someone had put glue on the top of my head or something and my hands/fingers feel sticky after touching it. So the following night i washed my hair with a different shampoo and nothing worked. Its gross! im embarrased to go out in public, it looks like i havent washed my hair in a month! What actually does work? I cant stand my hair like this, my hair has never been greasy! help!
I too woke up one morning with this weird patch on my head.  I am 39 and have not had any appreciable changes in my life.  I just chatted with my mom and she suggested I look it up on the net, so here I am.  About three months ago I had used an old V05 hot oil treatment as a treat one night while my husband was out and I had extra time to induldge. Greasy hair was the result.   I called my girlfriend who also cuts my hair and after telling me to NEVER use V05 again (warm olive oil is her recommendation) she said to try dish soap, I used it two or three times and it worked beautifuly.  

I woke up about two weeks ago and I have been battling it again and dish soap is not helping one bit.  I have tried various remedies but will go out first thing in the morning and get some suave and listerin and try it ASAP.  I hope everyone that has this happen to them discovers this site.  Take care and happy hair.
This problem recently started for me as well. My hairdresser had never seen/heard of it either. I haven't had any changes in medication or anything like that. I've noticed a few people mentioning they use Pantene. I wonder if this had anything to do with it as I use it too. I'm going to try the listerene. I bought an expensive clarifying shampoo which helps cut down the amount of grease definitely hasn't cured it.  

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community