Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.6k Members

syrignomas

I don't know if anyone else has this condition?  I've had them since my late teens.  Bumps under both eyes. I've tried laser - one eye was treated with little difference.  Now I wouldn't care about them if they were anywhere else, but when something is on the face it can really affect ones confidence.  I have conceeded that I will probably never get rid of all of them.  But two options have been suggested to me - cauterization and eye bag removal.  I am wondering if anyone else has recieved either treatment for these and if so the success of this treatment.
3 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,

Syringoma is  harmless and caused by the overgrowth of cells from sweat glands. Diagnosis is with a biopsy of the skin by your dermatologist. Though there is a risk of scarring, destruction of syringomas may include: burning or cauterization, cutting out, carbon dioxide laser treatment, dermabrasion or cryosurgery. Talk to your doctor which option is best for you. Direct clinical examination is important with the evaluation.

Take care and keep us posted.
563773 tn?1374250139
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,

It is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis without clinical examination,but the various possibilities for your symptoms are syringoma(a non-cancerous (benign) bump usually found on the upper cheeks and lower eyelids of young adults. Syringomas are completely harmless and are caused by the overgrowth of cells) or milia(common non-cancerous (benign)lesions formed when skin does not slough off normally).

Treatemnt of syringoma and milia  is by electrocautery ,cryotherapy,laser or surgical excision.Also use eye creams with the least amount of ingredients possible to avoid irritating the delicate thin eye area. Also, gently touch the eyes and avoid rubbing the eyes vigorously so as not to damage the skin.Also use good quality sunscreens when going out in the sun.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.

Hi
Thanks for the advise, it is much appreciated. I had the lesions assessed under a biopsy about 6 years ago.
I think I will try try the cauterization method of treatment as I have already tried the yag laser, which i believe is similar to CO2 laser.  Several lesions were treated and whilst they were flattened, they were still visable.
I am reluctant to have eye bag removal as this seems a bit drastic and expensive.
Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions