Dermatology Forum

treatment of acne scars

I have read recently that their are new skin resufacing treatments that can reduce the visibilty of acne scaring. I heard these treatments are outpatient and require 5-6 office visits and can cost around $110 per visit. I saw a picture of it on TV and it looked like a sanding tool and not a laser that the doctors was using. I'm wondering what this treatment is called and where it is performed?
Melissa:

What you read about is called microdermabrasion, or a "power peel" or a "lunchtime peel" or any of a variety of other names.  It refers to a sanding of the skin with silicone (sand) granules.

These peels are gentle exfoliations only.  They freshen the skin a bit, but don't do anything for scars.  To benefit those, you have to look into laser resurfacing or dermabrasion, which is more invasive and costly.

To find a physician skilled in these procedures in your area, you might want to check out the website www.aad.org, and "Find a Dermatologist."

Best.

Dr. R
I WENT TO A LOCATION WHERE THEY DO "LASERFACIALS" WHAT THEY USE IS THE EBRIUM LASER.  I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED FROM THIS PROCEDURE, ITS FOR ACNE SCARS.  AND HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE RECOMMENDED?
THANX
Melissa:

The erbium laser peels much more deeply than a "power peel."  Still, it gives only fair results for acne scars.  Sometimes the laser peel is repeated in 6 or 12 months for better smoothing.  Laser peels involve pain, cost, and lengthy recovery, however.  be sure the doctor you consult has a lot of experience.  And if you're serious about laser peels for acne, you may want to look into CO2 laser peels too.

Best.

Dr. R
First of all I would was wondering what the difference between blemish and scars are.  Secondly how do you distinguish the two from another.  I have a moderate case of acne, my forehead is full of brown spots(blmemish or scars?) is there any way to speed up the healing process while or retin-a micro?  and was wondering if this IGIA blemish remover works.  The product says that it removes blemishes through electrical charges........thanks
would you explain to me what is the different between erbrium laser peel versus co2 peels. Which one is safer . Thanks
Blemishes are marks that hang around after a pimple has been there.  They last a long time (weeks to months), but don't stay permanently if you don't pick them.  Scars tend to be indented or raised.  But you really can't be sure until you wait them out.  And I really don't know a way to speed the process of making them heal, other than leaving them alone.

The CO2 laser does a better job of smoothing deeper problems, like acne scars, while the erbium is OK for fine lines, like crows' feet.  Healing takes longer with the CO2.  Both are safe, if used by experienced people who know what they're doing.

Dr. R
I have red & reddish/brown marks left on my face from acne.  I had a dermatologist use a CO2 laser on one of the spots, which didn't seem to improve much after the first time.  He repeated the procedure on the same spot and now it seems there is a slight indentation on my face from the laser.  Did he use it for too long? Is  this sort of thing common?

Please reply.
Hi, I had acne on my teen years , now I,m 33 years, old but still depressed with the marks that, the acne left on my face, please advice me on what to do, and which is the best new system on acne scars,
hi, I am looking for some infomation about indented scars and
there apperances.

please could you help.
                           thanks
I have many acne scars, both red marks and indentations, on my face from bad acne during my pregnancies.  I want VERY BADLY to get rid of these scars.  What is the best proceudre for this.  I am not too concerned with the cost.  I just want smooth skin again.  Make-up does nothing for the indentations.  Also, does drinking a lot of water help to fade the scars?
I had 4 treatments with the power peel and it only gave me temporary results. I don't suggest it to anyone. It was a waste of my money.
How does acne scaring effect you mental state of mind and is there reason not to be depressed over it!
People are asking you serious questions about the Igia blemeish removers, and you keep ignoring them.  Please answer the question.  Do these devices work or not?
I read about a procedure called laserfacials using an erbium laser with no down time..purportedly the machine is based on electromanetic waves.  their site is laserfacials.com...would appreciate your input on this one. It seems to be soemthing other than the typical erbium laser used by doctors. Can someone other than a physician used erbium lasers?
I don't want to subject my face to a process that won't work or might possibly harm
thanks
Just a general FYI to anyone interested in this subject. I had Co2 laser surgery done twice (once in 1996, and again in 1997). I was not happy with the results. My dermatologist did a free service b/c of my disatisfaction w/the CO2 surgery. She inserted a few little tiny synthetic pieces into my face, that was supposed to be equal to "permanent" collagen (sp?) injections. Well, the little pieces eventually came out and left even worse scars on my face that the few little indentations I had to begin with. It is my recommendation that NOBODY ever get those things put in your face, or anywhere else, to try and "plump up" a scar. I believe they were called "polyform" or "plastiform" or something similar to one of those names.

I used to model back in High School, and was used to having smooth skin, but had developed acne in my early 20's, so I invested in the CO2 surgery to try and improve my skin's texture.
What the co2 did do, was eliminate some fine lines I had around my eyes. That's about it.

Anyway, I actually went back to my Dermatologist today (hence my internet searching now on this subject), and she said that there s/b something coming out in America soon (it is currently available in Europe, and I am seriously thinking about taking a trip to London........anyway, it is called "restylene" (this is how she spelled it, I was unsuccsefull at finding any info on the web under this spelling) but she pronounced it "rest-a-lene". She said this is a synthetic version of collagen that has not yet been FDA approved. She said she had thought it w/b FDA approved within a year or so.......

Kristina
(ps I don't know if this will post the email address I am on. I am currently signed on under my boyfriend's aol name.)

After a course of accutane, how long should I wait before starting microdermabrasion treatments for residual acne marks

After a course of accutane, how long should I wait before starting microdermabrasion treatments for residual acne marks on my face.
I am 33 years old and have deep wide acne scars. They are really affecting my emotional state of well being. I am depressed and dont want to go out in public. The only insurance I have is Medicare and I am on dissability. Is there any way to finance cosmedic plastic surgery with not so good credit? And wich treatment would work best for me?
I am a 45 year old African American woman with a tan complextion. I have two blemishes on my face which I am told are dermal.  I was advised that a laser skin resurfacing procedure could be performaed to remove the dark spots and smooth out some acne scarring.  I was told that the CO2 laser could not be used on African American skin due to pigment problems and have heard varying tales on weather the erbium laser would give me the results I want.  Could you clear up the confusion regarding these two lasers.  I seen the cost advertised anywhere from $375 to $5000.

I offen breakout. I use gentle cleansers and acne fighting creams and exc. made for my skin type, but when they go away, I'm left with scars from the pimple. When I have a few pimples, it looks like I have lots of pimples, because I have so many scars. I've tried everything.I don't know what to do.
HI, I AM 17 YEARS OLD AND I DEPRESSED OF THE MARKS THAT THE ACNE
LEFT ON MY FACE ,AND I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS CREAM TREETMENT THAT BLUR AND BRIGHTNES THE ACNE SCARS FROM THE FACE?
HI, I HAVE THESE REDDISH ACNE SCARS/BLEMISHES ALL OVER MY FACE WHICH ARE REALLY NOTICABLE. i'VE HAD THEM FOR A YEAR AND A HALF NOW. IS THERE ANY MEDICATION THAT I COULD TAKE THAT WOULD MAKE THEM FADE AWAY AND DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY, BESIDES WAITING FOR THEM TO FADE. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

and my 2nd question is that what gets rid of whiteheads, pus-filled, the fastest and bestest? thanx
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions