Dermatology Forum

treatment of acne scars

I have read recently that their are new skin resufacing treatments that can reduce the visibilty of acne scaring. I heard these treatments are outpatient and require 5-6 office visits and can cost around $110 per visit. I saw a picture of it on TV and it looked like a sanding tool and not a laser that the doctors was using. I'm wondering what this treatment is called and where it is performed?
Melissa:

What you read about is called microdermabrasion, or a "power peel" or a "lunchtime peel" or any of a variety of other names.  It refers to a sanding of the skin with silicone (sand) granules.

These peels are gentle exfoliations only.  They freshen the skin a bit, but don't do anything for scars.  To benefit those, you have to look into laser resurfacing or dermabrasion, which is more invasive and costly.

To find a physician skilled in these procedures in your area, you might want to check out the website www.aad.org, and "Find a Dermatologist."

Best.

Dr. R
I WENT TO A LOCATION WHERE THEY DO "LASERFACIALS" WHAT THEY USE IS THE EBRIUM LASER.  I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF RESULTS CAN BE EXPECTED FROM THIS PROCEDURE, ITS FOR ACNE SCARS.  AND HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE RECOMMENDED?
THANX
Melissa:

The erbium laser peels much more deeply than a "power peel."  Still, it gives only fair results for acne scars.  Sometimes the laser peel is repeated in 6 or 12 months for better smoothing.  Laser peels involve pain, cost, and lengthy recovery, however.  be sure the doctor you consult has a lot of experience.  And if you're serious about laser peels for acne, you may want to look into CO2 laser peels too.

Best.

Dr. R
First of all I would was wondering what the difference between blemish and scars are.  Secondly how do you distinguish the two from another.  I have a moderate case of acne, my forehead is full of brown spots(blmemish or scars?) is there any way to speed up the healing process while or retin-a micro?  and was wondering if this IGIA blemish remover works.  The product says that it removes blemishes through electrical charges........thanks
would you explain to me what is the different between erbrium laser peel versus co2 peels. Which one is safer . Thanks
Blemishes are marks that hang around after a pimple has been there.  They last a long time (weeks to months), but don't stay permanently if you don't pick them.  Scars tend to be indented or raised.  But you really can't be sure until you wait them out.  And I really don't know a way to speed the process of making them heal, other than leaving them alone.

The CO2 laser does a better job of smoothing deeper problems, like acne scars, while the erbium is OK for fine lines, like crows' feet.  Healing takes longer with the CO2.  Both are safe, if used by experienced people who know what they're doing.

Dr. R
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions