unbearable itch on scrotum . folliculitis?

I'm not sexually active. I've never experienced this itch in my life.
1 week ago, I stumbled upon a half inch circular slightly raised plaque near my left groin fold. it itched. I thought it might be ringworm, so I started applying clotrimazole cream on it. (plaque didn't increase in size over the past week and it doesn't itch anymore.)
In normal seated position, this plaque touches the left scrotum. Within 2 days, my whole left scrotum started to itch & burn intensely, and my inner left thigh grew out a carpet of hair follicle bumps in the area closest to the left scrotum. Interestingly, my thigh didn't itch.
I rubbed the left scrotum because it itched like hell, and it became red, thick, somewhat rough, and shiny compared to the right scrotum, which was softer and smoother. There's a visible difference. The left scrotum looks like it has deeper folds because of the inflammation. There are no pustules on the scrotum. It's just thicker and red with a few bumps. The attached picture shows my left inner thigh near the scrotum with all the bumps.

Now, one week later, my right scrotum is starting to itch, and I see follicle bumps popping up on my right groin/inner thigh closest to the right scrotum. Looks like the itch spread to my right scrotum, and jumped onto my right thigh.
Also, I have about 7 small red non-itchy bumps on my glans penis. I think it spread there by contact.

Over the past 2 days, I've used a warm salt water compress on my groin, and the follicle bumps on my thigh have decreased in size. I'm also using the salty compress on my scrotum, hoping it's also just folliculitis. I have also been using petroleum based hydrocortisone to ease the itch. It only itches every few hours. The rest of the time, I feel nothing at all.

A burning itch on the scrotum = folliculitis? I'm thinking the scrotal itch has to do with the follicle pustules on my thigh, although my scrotal skin doesn't have visible pustules and it's not oozing anything.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

This could be folliculitis or balanitis. Nothing can be said with surety however without having a look at the lesions.

In most individuals there are outbreaks of folliculitis from time to time.

Folliculitis is infection and inflammation of the hair follicles. The condition may be superficial (i.e., on the surface of the skin) or deep within the follicles.The most common cause of folliculitis is infection by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Folliculitis symptoms can appear independent of infection. Exposure of the skin to certain chemicals, especially oils and tars, can trigger an outbreak. People with depressed immune systems, diabetes, or obesity have a greater risk of contracting folliculitis than the general population.

Patients with chronic unresponsive folliculitis may require investigation into the source of the infection. S. aureus bacteria can live in the patient's nostrils, periodically triggering a folliculitis outbreak.

Individuals who are predisposed to folliculitis should be extremely careful about personal hygiene. Application of antiseptic washes may help prevent recurrences. A topical antibiotic cream, mupirocin (Bactroban®), has been effective at reducing bacterial colonization in the nostrils. It is applied twice daily for a week and is repeated every 6 months.

Some stubborn cases of folliculitis have been responsive to laser-assisted hair removal. This process uses a laser to destroy the follicle. This reduces the scarring that results from folliculitis.

Balanitis is inflammation of the glans penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

Let us know if you need any other information and consult a skin specialist if the lesion is persistent.

Regards.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community