Dermatology Community
53.6k Members
798151 tn?1237500327

what kind of rash?...

My partner has developed this itchy, painful rash on his side/belly. Its tender to touch, not a constant pain.  5/10 pain rating, 10 being worst pain so its tolerable. He also said that the skin feels tight in that area.

It started 2.5 weeks ago, when the area was tender and very itchy. the bumps appeared about 5 days later. The three dots in the photo were the first ones that appeared, the others have only recently appeared. He hasn't itched it since the bumps appeared.

any idea what this is? Or what it could caused by? Are there any home treatments that would help?
3 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139

One possibility is of shingles or herpes zoster. Shingles is an infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus, which is the virus that causes chickenpox.It is due to reactivation of the dormant chicken pox virus.The first sign is usually a tingling feeling, itchiness, or stabbing pain on the skin. After a few days, a rash appears as a band or patch of raised dots on the side of the trunk or face. The rash develops into small, fluid-filled blisters which begin to dry out and crust over within several days. When the rash is at its peak, symptoms can range from mild itching to extreme and intense pain.

Treatment of shingles includes antiviral drugs, steroids, analgesics and anti viral eye drops.Pls get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

798151 tn?1237500327

thank you for your comment kindd!

i had shingles about a year or so ago and boy do i remember the pain! this does not feel or look like when i did have shingles. i have no other symptoms (flu-like stuff, swollen lymph nodes...), and the bumps aren't fluid filled... the three red dots look like large red blackheads... if that makes any sense. there is no crusting and they aren't oozing, not even the tiniest bit.

do you have any ideas on what else it could possibly be?

563773 tn?1374250139

Another possibility that I can think is of a boil. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

Pls keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

If the symptoms persist then pls get it evaluated from a dermatologist.
Hope it helps .Take care and pls do keep us posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions