Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dermatology Community
53.8k Members

whats this hard lump under skin on my arm

i have a lump on my arm at the elbow just under my skin .many years ago this lump started out pretty much like a pimple. but when i squeezed it a string of connected white beady material came out. after a while the skin closed where i couldnt squeeze it out anymore and now its a small rock size hard lump. it hasnt grown in size and it doesnt feel connected to anything and i can move it around a little. has anyone heard of anything like this?
1 Responses
563773 tn?1374246539
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
The symptoms that you have described are typically suggestive of a sebaceous cyst. It occurs just under the skin and contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but if they are unsightly or if they become painful then it means they are infected, Then surgical excision is required which is done by a dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have an Answer?
Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions