white/gray patch on lower lip

I've had a noticeable white/gray patch on the exterior of my lower lip. It looks like dried skin, but it's resistant to exfoliation. Lip balms including Carmex don't help. I was referred to an ENT, and he says it's not cancer or an infection, but he recommends an excision biopsy. The ENT thinks I may have a blocked salivary gland, and he said the surgery would remove the entire area and my lip would be stitched closed with minor scarring. I am reluctant to undergo this procedure. In the meantime, he prescribed Kenalog Orabase to apply to the area. I am concerned this may be something "simple" and an excision biopsy too extreme. What could cause this discoloration on my lower lip? I am 46 year old male, in good health.
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be leukoplakia, lichen planus or vitiligo. Leukoplakia is a white lesion that can't be removed simply by rubbing the mucosal surface. It may occur in response to chronic irritation from dentures or from tobacco use or pipe smoking, or it may represent dysplasia.

I agree with your doctor because biopsy is required to confirm the diagnosis.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

It is more likely to be a hyperkeratotic white patch due to continuous trauma by u such as pinching or biting ur lips. I also need to ask u if u have other white lesions inside ur mouth or if u have a skin disease called psoriasis, if not then nothing serious, just apply Tretinoin gel on the white patch and it will go away. Try to stop biting ur lip so it won't come back.
i too ve a similar white patch like harry's in d center f my lower lips...i dont ve any problems inside my mouth n no other diseases. im ving dis for more dan a year..its stable n smooth..some days it s hardly visible n some days it vl appear as highlighted...i think der s one more appearing over the right side of my lower lips too..m 22 yrs old,femal n fair in complexion...i nvr consulted a doctor for this as it ws not bothering me...i tout it may b due to some vitamin deficiency..but when i read f biopsy n all in dis page im totally scared now...no other remedy dan checking for cancer??? i neither smoke nor consume alcohol...please some one help me...
I have this similar sort of condition on my lower lip.  It doesn't appear to be due to any trauma.  Goes away at night, reappears in the morning after waking, whether I eat or not.  Fruit tends to hasten its development more than other foods, but it happens anyway with whatever is eaten.